Search form

Wannabe Animation writer needs advice!

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wannabe Animation writer needs advice!

Hi all im new to these forums and looking for some friendly advice.

I grew up on a strict diet of cartoons, anime, video games and way too much day dreaming but ive never been particularly good at drawing or more visual activities. But im not one to let a thing like talent get in the way... Ive recently been working on some scripts and story ideas which I think would be great if they were done as animations. The subject area is quite broad but the common theme is I have these thoughts of a picture of a philosophy of life I would really like to express and words alone arent enough. Ive considered getting in touch with some friends of mine to work on live action shorts but something inspired me recently and I decided that ive taken so much from animation I would love to be involved in giving something back and helping to push the boundaries. All of the ideas I have are more mature in their content (not nec. sex and drugs but serious issues we all face).

So my basic problem is if I want to do any of this and make it a reality I need help. I thought there might perhaps be people who can animate and might be looking for a collaborator with stories, concepts and scripts to showcase their artwork or maybe even just people who would like scripts to work on alone. Im happy to get involved or stay away if need be I just would like to get some of these ideas out there.

So my question is whats the best way to go about this? Ive seen that theres the animation co-op website but I need to look into that more, is this a good place to start? And even better advice I need... does this idea even warrant serious consideration? I mean in general do animators have enough ideas of their own so they dont have to worry about the likes of me? Im really willing to test any medium too so are there perhaps other avenues I look at for help?

Thanks for your time in reading this, all advice and suggestions are welcome
Paul

My take is that drawing is important. But you don't have to be able to draw. Animation is a very dense visual media and visual thinking is integral. Check out this post: http://www.keithlango.com/wordpress/?p=690
The most important thing is to work out methods with which you can get your ideas into a visually concrete form - even if very rough. Don't trust ideas floating about in your head. Hard check them with graphite on paper, rough 3D meshes, cardboard and tape.

If you just have ideas, you have to remember that those that can convert your ideas to substance deserve payment, your ideas aren't going to imprint on society without being translated into a visual medium.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

me too

I am a writer. I too want to write animation scripts. I do belong to a writing forum but this is for animation. How do you get into the writing side? Is it all done "In House"?????

Kev:confused:

Books By Kevin Hill

# 501 Things to do while on hold.

# Power Words Teaching Bible Memory verses to Kids

There are no easy answers. A story is only as good as it is conveyed. Want a monthly paycheck, then go in house, have something to say that no one else feels is viable, then seek another venue.

If you just have ideas, you have to remember that those that can convert your ideas to substance deserve payment, your ideas aren't going to imprint on society without being translated into a visual medium.

That is something I had considered but at the same time there must be up and coming animators who might not be too good with dialogue or story ideas or just looking for opportunities to collaborate. Im gonna try to take a shot at drawing some stuff and use these forums to find software to maybe test out some ideas but are there any websites specifically setup for people to find people to collaborate?

There are no easy answers. A story is only as good as it is conveyed. Want a monthly paycheck, then go in house, have something to say that no one else feels is viable, then seek another venue.

Well i never expected there to be easy answers but my main aim here was to find somewhere to start, im not interested in paychecks and as far as other avenues go I want to be involved with animation as its something close to my heart... :) so i wont give up so easily!

I was talking about going out side of established studio.

I think you are going about it the right way Paul. If you don't know any animators then you simply have to go around and ask. If you have a good idea and so artists really like it and want to help, then it will happen.
Try this forum: http://forums.awn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15
It's the AWN Co-Op Forum and is designed for this type of thing. IE people with little to no money, looking for other interested artists.

If you want to get into the animation writing industry, become a writer. Get good at writing, and network with other writers. Then try to get onto a writing team. There you will learn the ropes and then hopefully branch off to being on your own.

Good luck.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

If you want to get into the animation writing industry, become a writer. Get good at writing, and network with other writers. Then try to get onto a writing team. There you will learn the ropes and then hopefully branch off to being on your own.

Good luck.

Aloha,
the Ape

This is what i am doing at the moment!!!

:D

Books By Kevin Hill

Have you started?

Paul,

Have you started to write yet? Have you/are you learning how to write scripts in the proper format? This needs time! Maybe we can also help each other out?? The writing forum I belong to that is very good is

Absolutewrite.com

There is a vast amount of knowledge over there about writing scripts.

I have written a full feature animation script. Anyone wants to read it can PM me.:cool:

Kev

Books By Kevin Hill

Yeah ive already been writing for a bit, originally I only started writing to get some ideas out but its slowly turned into working on a script. Its nowhere near finished yet but im slowly working through it. Ill send you a pm if you dont mind me taking a look at what you have so far :)

I can send you what I have so far too

P

Hi,

I have experience in writing for animation, but many suggested to me that it is not a secured job and I'm not taking it as a full time career option. Then, if you are writing for animation you need to know what works and not works in animation. Since here we give more importance to visual story telling..There are several books specific to the topic check Amazon for authors like Jeffrey Scott, Jean Ann Wright, Christy Marx etc. check those.

regards
Windchimes