Search form

animating/lip syncing in flash or ae?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
animating/lip syncing in flash or ae?

Hi Everyone,
I'm *finally* nearing the end of putting together my assets for my big animated project (have completed all the bg's and am nearly done putting together all the characters and props.) Next step for me is tweaking the scripts, recording/mixing etc. the voiceovers, then animating everything.

Question: I did all the bg's in photoshop and have created all the characters in Flash. I'm planning on compositing everything in ae, but it occurred to me: should I animate the characters (including doing the lip-syncing) in flash or in ae? BTW, I purchased a plug-in called Layer-Ex, so I can export individual layers into AE (a big time saver.) My primary concerns are quality and time.
I had originally thought I'd do all the animation and lip-syncing in Flash, then export and composite (and do zooms, pans, etc) in AE. But now I'm thinking, maybe I should should just do the whole thing in AE--it might save time. Are there any benefits to animating in flash, then exporting? If so, what are the benefits to animating/lip-syncing in flash, then exporting.

Could anyone tell me their preference and why?
Thanks a bunch,
Wally

like Ape we do our lips in Flash. We drop them in from the pre-created library. We usually get a lot of commendation on our sync work.

if you are equally comfortable its a decision you must take....

Personally I'd animate in Flash because I know Flash. I don't know how good After Effects' animation features are, so I can't comment between the two programs. If it was me, I'd animate everything in Flash. The characters, backgrounds, pans, truck-in's and everything. Then just export straight out of Flash.

I'd say animate in which ever program you are most comfortable using. The more comfortable you are the better the animation will be.

I look forward to seeing the final short.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

thanks, Ape.
I'm actually equally comfortable in both and like AE better for pans, zooms, etc--also for SFX. I think what I'll probably do is just experiment a bit when I'm done with all the characters (hopefully within the next few months.) And when the final product is done, I'll definitely post here for you guys to check out.
Wally