Search form

specifics of vector, bitmap, cg

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
specifics of vector, bitmap, cg

I have a few questions I'm hoping people will help with.
Using flash, flash 8 full, I notice that any black line or edge is pretty jagged or blurry. I compared that to bitmap programs, and they have basically the same problem. I Have an image made with illustrator that looks like it has no problems like that (but I don't have Illustrator). Is there any way to improve flash's edges, not for web, just stills and video.

I was reading this book on "coloring comics" and it basically said, start at 450 DPI 1 BIT (B/W no grey) and add flat colors with no antialiasing in PS. I don't understand, is that correct, how will that look smooth?

Yeah there's a lot of layers in that one.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

In the example here: the box on right contains an image with smooth lines, and the rest is straight from flash with various tools and it looks like most edges are either sawtooth or blurry to me. For all I know it looks different on othe computers.

What I meant about filters is, for example, I know doing a tiny blur and then shrinking an image can eliminate a lot of grityness, but there are downsides to this.

It would help to know what version of Flash you are using. With any vector program you have to learn about points and smoothing. You can't just pick up the tools and draw without some sort of clean up before you turn the project in. And old versions of Flash are notorious for adding extra points.

Flash 8 full.
The problems I am talking about will show up on all lines and curves, including circle tool or a simple curve because it's an antialiasing issue. a horizontal line of course has no problem, but depending on the angle and curve I will see more or less.

Flash 8 full.
The problems I am talking about will show up on all lines and curves, including circle tool or a simple curve because it's an antialiasing issue. a horizontal line of course has no problem, but depending on the angle and curve I will see more or less.

Is it possable that this is a monitor or graphic card issue? I see no differents in the examples posted.

Yes, I was wondering about that.

I have the same problem using Flash 8, and see a lot of difference in the example posted. In Illustrator and the test version of Microsoft's upcoming flash-replacement, I have no such issue. One of the many problems with Flash that turned me off to the program.

If Macromedia or Adobe now, had or would spend any time refining the tools in the program instead of focussing on the developers and effects tools they would have a lot bigger creative base. Like I said it's notorious for adding extra points, those of us that have worked with it for long periods find work arounds or learn to live with it's idiosyncrasies.

For the logo work I use it for, I always convert my lines to fill, and check them out with the bezier, before I am satisfied. I then usually publish as an AI and refine them even more in CorelDraw or Illustrator, before considering them finished.

Do you maybe have it on Fast mode, which aliases the edges for faster playback and preview?

No, it's not in fast mode, it's in the full mode, the edges are smoothed, but it seems ugly for some curves, lines, and so on.

Try publishing in png format. If you are creating your lines in flash this shouldn't be a problem, unless you are saving or publishing them in a really compressed format to begin with. If you are importing and coloring a bitmap you need to look at your process.

Sounds like you are comparing raster (bitmap) images to vector images. They are two different beasts. Your Illustrator example is a vector image, where the edge is drawn using a mathematical formula. Your jaggy images are bitmaps, which are showing the pixels in the image.

If you plan on using bitmaps, higher resolutions will help you smooth out the edges, but they'll never be as smooth as a vector image. They'll also lead to much larger Flash files, as they take up more memory space than equivalent vector images.

I was comparing flash's vectors to verious things.

So if you are showing your flash work, stills or video, do you put it through some filters, or photoshop type process, and if so, which?

Post an example.

In the example here: the box on right contains an image with smooth lines, and the rest is straight from flash with various tools and it looks like most edges are either sawtooth or blurry to me. For all I know it looks different on othe computers.

What I meant about filters is, for example, I know doing a tiny blur and then shrinking an image can eliminate a lot of grityness, but there are downsides to this.

You are using the brush tool probably and not smoothing. If you really want smooth lines in Flash you use the line tool and Bezier, or convert to shape and smooth.

Which version of flash are you using?

I did this in Flash:

And I've done all these logos and things in flash.

http://www.scooters-world.com/portfolio.html

I dig those petals! Did you build in the shading from light to dark, layering it on?