Search form

kindly guide me, how shud I prepare my self?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
kindly guide me, how shud I prepare my self?

My age is 24 and I am on the verge to complete my
course in Multimedia. Till now I have learned till 3D max
and Combustion but my interests are visualizing and storyboarding. I can draw well but don't have any such degree; practically I hate degrees. I believe that not only can I think well but I can also make it work too, in terms of business. I am basically a think tank and for me nothing seems as impossible. I hate sleep and like to work and meditate. I have my plans to open up my own studio in the future far better than PIXAR; worlds best production house. But my first step is to start with a job
There is no minimal supporting climate in my home and that is causing delay to make my profile; all goes on in my head. My visualizing is very good as well as can give good ideas. I also have an interest in writing where I wish to collaborate art, philosophy, science, literature and spirituality.
I wish to create some of my own products but don't know where to approach for marketing. I believe what ever I do should be my best work; at least I try. I am a person who loves detailing as as well as interesting.
I believe the QUANTUM theory With all its mathematical details can also be entertaining.
But all that I have said I wish to prove it so kindly guide me what should I do.
I am presently planning to make a profile which will contain at least 20 story boards, few animation in flash and may be in ToonBOOMS too and some drawings of mine all in an interactive CD. Is it all enough?
How should I plan my work and career to reach my goal as quick as possible? Just give me the idea of the
monetary side? How much should I expect as a salary
if I can prove my self as extremely creative?
I believe presentation is a great science and I do a lot of thinking on it to make things very perfect but once if I get in work my ideas will grow further; I have a sharp mind, can solve problems and has the capacity to understand everything.

I am from Kolkata and I am still an undergraduate because my thoughts reaches much deeper than what the books can provide me.
Kindly guide me please.

my email address : vvdantist@gmail.com

What are your goals?
Would you be happy integrating into the production pipeline (shading, lighting, animating) or are you driven towards more conceptual work (design, story, art)? Do you feel fulfilled contribiting a focused part to a larger venture? Or do you feel the need to command a larger part of a smaller something?
What drives you? live-action integration of effects? character aniamtion? drawn or simulated FX? staging? story-telling? Working with people? Producing at your own desk?

It sounds like you're very open to learning and that's good, because no matter what you opt for, you'll never be done with learning. Neither process, nor team, nor tool...

If you aren't sure what you want to aim for, focus on what strengths you now have and polish them to get in the door - then you can see what everyone else is doing and get a better idea.

thank u all, but let me elaborate a bit

See I have said I am good in drawing and that means I can draw and explain what I wanted to show if I am doing the story boarding.
My interests are something like this....... imagine a story line up is given then I can elaborate it and can create a detailing. If there is no story then then I can create one can be of any type and also elaborate it. I can beautify; if i can get an artist then I can create many comic strips, I basically can present thing well.
I am more interested in the animation part and a heavy responsibility means working for big projects. I have extreme patience and won't stop working till I can finish my work.

Reality Check

Well, like I said. It's good to be creative, but really, you should remember, animation is EXPENSIVE. People just don't give you big bucks to be creative just on your say so. If you have no experience or track record in creative development, storyboarding or script writing, you better get some.

I mean, think about it, would YOU give $8,000 to someone to do a storyboard for you just because they say they can do it? Or would you expect to see professional looking samples of their work and an outstanding CV with years of experience?

Unless you have an outstanding, professional looking portfolio (meaning not a "student-work" looking portfolio), Im afraid you're going to start out like the rest of us... at the bottom, and work your way up.

Really, the first job is the toughest one to get. After that, you'll rise according to how hard you work and how responsible you are. You're 24, could be doing great things by the time you're 30... but everyone has to start somewhere. The faster you get an entry into a studio, the sooner you'll be able to prove yourself.

All your questions are your answers.

What you do not know about, is what you need to learn about.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

but still

can u b a little specific... and I needed a guidance... so please

A lot of interests...

Hi there.
I can completely relate to what you are saying.
I think it's very good to be passionate, but first things first: I think you probably need to work in a good studio, and spend some time learning the animation process.

Right now the industry in India needs ANIMATORS... not storyboard artists, not scriptwriters, not designers. We all wish we could make our own films, however this is the reality of the industry in India right now. We need ANIMATORS. If you become a good enough animator (Maya is the most popular program) you have a decent shot at getting a job in India. Where you go from there will depend on your performance.

Is this helpful? I hope so. We hire and train dozens of beginners weekly at our studio. I can always see which ones will grow... they are the ones that are eager, exited, wanting to learn. We show them Pixar movies, old Tex Avery and Disney classics, and their eyes grow wide. You can see they really want to learn how to do these things. Those are the best people, they are young, passionate and they want to learn.

Here's what you need to know to get in the door:
1) Basic Maya (It should take about a year to learn... not that hard)
2) Clear understanding of X-Sheets and the animation principles, Study The Animator's Survival Kit cover to cover! Its harder to find a school who will teach this, but you should try to find one.
3) Become familiar with the animation classics (Tex Avery, Tom & Jerry, Bugs Bunny, Classic Disney... as well as modern 3D films)

In India Crest, DQ, Tata, UTV Toonz are but a few of the good studios. They are always looking for beginning animators these days.

Good luck!