Search form

Why is show development such a nightmare?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Why is show development such a nightmare?

Ive been working in middle-sized studios for the past ten years, in the US and Asia. Sucessful studios, but mostly work-for-hire.
In every studio there's come a point when they are doing well, getting lots of industry recognition, and they decide to develop their own shows.

Inevitably the process goes awry. Someone's ego gets in the way, or a producer steps in and insists on having creative input, the CEO gets his girlfriend to re write the script.... always SOMETHING goes wrong, and its usually something so idiotic its hilarious years later, but horrible while its happening.

Ive worked in six studios over the past ten years, and Ive seen this happen again and again. I used to get exited when Im asked to get involved in development. Now I just groan and try to get out of it.

Anyone have any ideas on how to actually develop a show without the process imploding?

Divest oneself of all emotion about the thing.

Really that simple.
When its a in-house thing, and there's lots of creative drives to make it "yours"--invariably those folks trying to make it their baby get into ego conflicts with each other. So you approach the material only for what it is, saying at least arm's length from it. You strive for the same aims though as if it were personal: if its to be funny, make it funny, if its to be thrilling, make it thrilling etc.

I've tried to get some input on in-house jobs, mostly little things like running in-jokes and such.........and they seldom, if ever, fly. Not that they were bad ideas, just that the over-riding vision saw things differently.
I expect ( and respect) that, and I take my cues from the guiding vision.

Makes for less headaches and keeps them happy.

And if things get really petty and ego-wrecked.......yea, then its time to bow out. Fortunately, I've never worked in such a situation....yet.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)