Search form

How do you get an agent?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
How do you get an agent?

Does anyone know how you'd go about getting an agent to help you get work as a director, animator.... any of that stuff?

Really? Hmmm.
I just worked with a writer once who had an agent. The guy was a good scriptwriter, but was not making that kind of money. Anyway, his agent would just roam the industry kicking down doors looking for jobs for this guy. Did pretty good too, lots of freelance work.
I figured, hey, if a writer can find an agent...

I am a director, but definitely not making 100k a year. Damn, I wish.
So... not common in the industry for directors to have agents?

Writers are a different ballgame as far as agents go. It's almost a necessity if you want anyone from a publishing company/production company to read your work (except maybe short stories and the occasional fluke screenplay that's plucked from the slush pile).

Another alternative to an agent would be to sign up with a recruiter or staffing agency.

Sharvonique Studios
www.sharvonique.com

Animated By Sharvonique Blog
http://sharvonique.animationblogspot.com

AWN Showcase Gallery

The way I see it, if you're not a Glen Keene, Andreas Deja or someone else of that caliber and you walk into a studio with an agent, you are going to come off as an arrogant prick. Thats just my opinion.

Besides why would you want to pay someone 10-15% when you can just negotiate yourself?

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

I cannot really see any point having an agent unless you are already making at least $100K a years as a director or lead animator. From what I understand, most agents will not touch anyone under that income bracket anyway.
The alternate route is to have a spouse or someone close to you learn the ropes and act as your agent.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Just a thought...

Really? Hmmm.
I just worked with a writer once who had an agent. The guy was a good scriptwriter, but was not making that kind of money. Anyway, his agent would just roam the industry kicking down doors looking for jobs for this guy. Did pretty good too, lots of freelance work.
I figured, hey, if a writer can find an agent...

I am a director, but definitely not making 100k a year. Damn, I wish.
So... not common in the industry for directors to have agents?

I've never worked with a director that had one, or needed one--and I've been in the animation biz since '85.

Really, unless the talent is really top-drawer and seeking the best deals on very high-profile jobs.....its probably better to seek out the jobs on your own.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)