Search form

Submitting portfolio's to multiple places

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Submitting portfolio's to multiple places

Hi,

It is beneficial to apply to multiple college's when looking to attend, even if you're only after one. However, most college's application deadlines are similar, if not the same, and all tend to keep folios for extended time due to the time it takes to review all submissions. So i was wondering, how can you send your same folio out to multiple places at the same time? It's my first time applying for college, and i'm assuming the colleges frown upon or even reject copied work (stating they like orginal pieces - obviously not copies of other people's work but also i'm assuming they mean the actual orginal piece of yours i.e. not photocopied or scanned in and printed etc etc).

So...

Is it simply a case of creating the desired amount of firsthand folios for the ammount you want to apply for? Taking your best work for your first choice, and then going down the line for each application? In other words, Multiple different folios (say 4 college's, and each one recieves a unique folio of orginal work). Or is there another way? How did you do it? Just incase i'm overlooking something obvious here...

Thanks for your help,
Rich.

RTP's picture
________________________________Perpetual Motion________________________________

________________________________Perpetual Motion________________________________

Couple of things:

One-Never, NEVER ever send your original work to anyone, unless they have a paycheque on it way in your direction first.
Send good copies, always.
If they lose or damage the originals, you are screwed, and they will not take responsibility for it.
Its just common sense--send copies.

Two--if you are unsure what they mean--call them and ask them to clarify.
Sometimes their terms are vague, sometimes its easy to misinterpret because they may be using the language in different ways than you are familliar with.

If they are saying "send original work" they are likely calling for "original subject matter"--not the actual original art. This might be to prevent people tracing, or copying other works to pass off as their own, and it can act as a quick gauge as to the talent level of the student.

All they want to see is a demonstration of your ability. One portfolio should suffice in this case--its NOT a job application, where different portfolios would be an asset.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Ah, this answers it i think, thanks Ken.

I think though, i misworded my first post. Basically, i'm applying to four college's at once. And i was under the impression that the reviewers at said colleges frowned upon copies of your work. This may have been misinterpreted over time by me and lost in translation from 'don't send copies of other people's work'. To be honest, you're right, i should contact them to clarify this.

If this is indeed the case, would i really have to do thrice + 1 the work and muster up 4 different folios to satisfy their 'orginal's of your work only' clause. The more i say this, the more it feels to me that this probably isn't the case, and that i've misinterpred it. It seems to be a little too demanding i feel (asking someone to put all their effort into doing the best folio they can - then telling them to do it another 4 times!!)

On this note also though, obviously i want the best quality copies i can. And considering most of my life drawings are 18"x24", can anyone suggest the best place to go to get them scanned and printed? Although, under the 'folio guidlines' at the college's i'm looking at it states 'do not send photocopies or photos of your work' - so would scanning and printing come under this stipulation??

Rules -- Oh how i love them!

Thanks guys & girls,
Rich

Look at it this way, if they request originals from you, AND LOSE THEM, they open themselves up to all kinds of compensation issues. And if they try to shrug that off, someone will doubtlessly call them on it and exact litigation against them.
And if they don't................they should.

Hence.......sending something "disposable" to them is the best course of action--which means copies.
I'd simply state that you do not want to submit orignal works to these place without due compensation, and state that you will send prints of your work.
If that does not suffice, negotiate a combination of prints and ONE original piece--to prove that you are the author of the works.

And between you and me, if you get into a place that is so pissy about such things, play hardbull with the bastards from day one--its YOUR money they need, not the other way around. Makes no sense to me why you, the customer, have to bend over backwards and jump thru a flaming hoop just to patronize THEM.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)