Search form

Is there animator unions?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is there animator unions?

I heard alot about unions for Voice Actors, Unions for other Actor/Film oriented jobs as well, but is there Animator unions also?

BrioCyrain's picture
Animation writer who loves...Animation!

Animation writer who loves...Animation!

I heard alot about unions for Voice Actors, Unions for other Actor/Film oriented jobs as well, but is there Animator unions also?

The Animation Guild Local 839 comes to mind.

http://www.animationguild.org/

your grammar is atrocious!....that should be "Am there animation unions?"..and the answer of course would be "Yes, there umm"

So, just so I've got this right --
Are you saying that the union (AG) won't accept you unless you're hired into it? That a studio's animators can't have a vote on whether to affiliate, like with any other union?
So - the union isn't trying to organize, it isn't trying to grow?

If so, then, well, "guild" indeed. I hope I've got the wrong impression...?

So, just so I've got this right --
Are you saying that the union (AG) won't accept you unless you're hired into it? That a studio's animators can't have a vote on whether to affiliate, like with any other union?
So - the union isn't trying to organize, it isn't trying to grow?

If so, then, well, "guild" indeed. I hope I've got the wrong impression...?

Yup, you got it right.

If you are at a non-union studio, you can try and get your fellow artists to unionize the studio. If it doesn't happen, and the studio remains non-union you can not join the union on your own.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

So.... what about this union?

Ive know this union has been around for years but Ive never looked into it. What exactly do they do? Are they any good? Is it worth joining them? Whats the deal?

(Or should that be "Is they any good?")

Ive know this union has been around for years but Ive never looked into it. What exactly do they do? Are they any good? Is it worth joining them? Whats the deal?

(Or should that be "Is they any good?")

You can't join the Animation Guild unless you work at a union studio. If you do get hired at a union studio, you have no choice but to join the union. The Animation Guild 839 is only in Los Angeles California and has no power outside of LA County.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."