Search form

Most appealing color palate?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Most appealing color palate?

What cartoon do you think has the most appealing color palate?
I think King of The Hill has the most accurate colors that represent reality, but it isn’t necessarily most appealing.
I think that Bugs Bunny cartoons are very pleasing to the eye, but not necessarily the most appealing.

What is everyone’s thoughts?

I think appealing is a personal preference so it can be hard to pick the best

When ever I am watching Futurama I am amazed by how soothing the colors are. The colors on Futurama are all so bright and highly saturated I consider it the most appealing. I just don’t find the colors in WB, Or Hana Barbara cartoons appealing they are all dull. I personally don’t think the ‘real’ paint can get the brightness that the digital paint has.
But that’s just my opinion.

Does anyone know what the typical amount of colors used per cartoon is?

Of the fifteen billion responses available, for some reason my mind went to Samurai Jack. I never saw an episode with particularly rich color, but the environments as a whole tended to be unified but still have a lot of variation, especially when they were cool colors or very earthy.

Frederic Back's (The Man Who Planted Trees , Crac) color palette is very beautiful

I also like the color palette of "The mighty river" from Frederic Back, ;)

For me, I'd say Ice Age and Ice Age 2. I don't know why. It just has a feel to it. Playing the game Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl, I get the very same feeling...LOL! I don't know why, just some sort of natural, countryside glow to it. Not too bright but not too dulled either. I could think of alpine countryside/valleys in the same way...

Get to know me more through my blog at http://kaidonni.animationblogspot.com/! :cool:

Wallace and Gromit. Warm, earthy, rich, with beautiful accents.

I thought light and color in "Cars" was breathtaking. Nice contrast between nature and manmade.

For a minimalist approach, the Pink Panther series is a hoot. Sometimes they only use 2 or 3 colors. Brilliant.

John K has written some good articles on colour by examining the Yogi Bear backgrounds painted by Art Lozzi. I think he started writing about it in October last year if you want to find them. It's interesting stuff.

Visit my website:

Claire O'Brien.com

I personally do not think cartoons have the feeling in black'n'white like they do with color.

The early black'n'white cartoons have there place in history but they are not as enjoyable as color animation. Traditional film and TV are equally enjoyable in black’n’white as in color.
Perhaps color ads a playful childish aspect that is very pleasing.

I personally do not think cartoons have the feeling in black'n'white like they do with color.

The early black'n'white cartoons have there place in history but they are not as enjoyable as color animation. Traditional film and TV are equally enjoyable in blackÕnÕwhite as in color.

I do not have any examples of black and white cartoons but as I recall there was very little use of shades of gray in them. I remember seeing hash marks being used has fill in a lot the shapes. I think a black and white animation could be just as visually interesting to view as a color animaton. Maybe someone should talk a little about color theory, I think that is what this thread has been circling around.

The early black'n'white cartoons have there place in history but they are not as enjoyable as color animation. Traditional film and TV are equally enjoyable in black’n’white as in color.

I couldn't disagree with you more. There are some excellent, very entertaining examples of black and white cartoons out there. The Fleischer Popeye cartoons come to mind. Excellently animated, beautifully painted, and entertaining even now, decades after they first saw the light of a projector bulb... :D

Agree with you regarding live action though. My niece recently said she doesn't watch B&W films because they "look old and boring". I sat her down in front of "Roman Holiday" - boy did her opinion change... :D

I like the colors used for Ed Edd n Eddy the best.
especially the contrast between backgrounds and characters.

16 year old wanna be animator

I prefer scenes which go a little into the subtle and monochromic as that's easy on the eye and can get across a visual statement clearly. I like colour a lot but it shouldn't play the main part. Carefully balancing it is something I'm still learning.

Frederic Back's (The Man Who Planted Trees , Crac) color palette is very beautiful . In feature length animation I love the color palette used in "The One Hundred And One Dalmatians" and more recently in "The Triplettes of Belleville" . Too many classic Warner Bros. shorts (mostly Chuck Jones/Maurice Noble/Phil DeGuard) to name... Many Disney shorts, recently the "Rhapsody in Blue" sequence from Fantasia 2000 directed by Eric Goldberg and Art Directed/Color Styled by Susan Goldberg) . Pinocchio by Walt Disney Studios is absolutely amazing color styling . John Hubley's work at UPA (and beyond) is great . Rooty Toot Toot .

"Most" appealing color palette is definitely hard to choose from amongst so many great ones. King of the Hill and Ed, Edd, and Eddy are definitely NOT among my top choices . (sorry previous posters on this topic, but what are you talking about ? King of the Hill ? Ed, Ed, Eddy ? What ? )

"EustaceScrubb" has left the building