Search form

Walk Cycle-Feedback Needed!!

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Walk Cycle-Feedback Needed!!

I have just attempted my first walk cycle. I know it's rough and needs improvement, so any feedback is definitely welcomed!

http://hanimation.animationblogspot.com/2007/04/04/walk-cycle/

I don't know if it's because of the frame rate or whatever (I'm not expert), but the guy seems to SNAP back into place whenever his left arm moves back. That was the thing I noticed the most that needed improvement, but nice start, eh?

"One of the major difficulties Trillian experienced in her relationship with Zaphod was learning to distinguish between him pretending to be stupid just to get people off their guard, pretending to be stupid because he couldn't be bothered to think and wanted someone else to do it for him, pretending to be outrageously stupid to hide the fact that he actually didn't understand what was going on, and really being genuinely stupid." ~Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Thanks. And I think that is because I repeated the same sequence multiple times so it played longer. I'm working on making it smoother though.

Good start Hannah. There are a few things that need some work. First of all, the body doesn't rise up when the near leg takes a step. It goes up when the far leg is under the body but doesn't for the near leg. Also the near leg should straighten out more when the foot is directly under the torso. So what this is doing is making it look like the guy has a limp.

The near arm is also snapping back and stopping. It looks like you haven't gotten the arm out of the blocking stages yet. Having it ease in when it goes back then ease out when it heads back forward will help a lot.

One more thing, you need to soften the movement of the torso coming down. It just ka-chunks down.

Addressing these should really help your walk cycle.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Thank you so much for the feedback! I'll work on the items you addressed and post an updated version.

If you can, I'd suggest hiding the arms for now and concentrate on the torso and legs. Once you get that to how you like it, then turn the arms back on and animate those. This will keep you from getting overwhelmed.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Thanks. That's a really good idea. It will definitely make things easier!