Search form

Need computer advise.

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Need computer advise.

I am purchasing Maya. Any suggestions on the best system requirements out side the professional realm. I am a amateur animator and can afford to do things right once.

2 MBs of RAM would be adequate.

You mean 2 gigs right?

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

You mean 2 gigs right?

Haha. Yes indeed. Thanks for the catch. :)

I wish I was in your shoes. I am using a custom built I bought in 1999. I am glad I didn't go with a flavor of the month, but insisted on something that at the time was the fastest hotrod I could put together.

Don't go big box. Insist on the best graphics board available. Not sure what that is right now. Can't afford to shop for one so haven't kept up. As much ram as your mobo will allow, perhaps a dual processor. And a huge hard drive, or perhaps two if you can swing it. A good soundcard can also make life easier, one with jacks on the front makes life easier.

Insist on the disk for the OS, don't rely on restore partitions.

When deciding on a monitor. Go look at them. Most LCDs are only good direct on, if you are going to work at an angle go old school.

Find a mouse that fits your hand and responds to your touch, it can be your friend or your greatest enemy and time sucker.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

With Maya, there's no such thing as too many resources. Basically, get the best you can afford in hardware. 2 MBs of RAM would be adequate. 256 MB of video RAM is preferred. A Core 2 Duo or Dual Xeon processors. And go with a nice sized system drive with a separate drive for storage.

An external hard drive is a necessity for backup if you are doing graphic work. Can't afford to lose it can we. And they are cheap now. So don't forget Backup is a basic necessity.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.