Search form

Toon Boom Studio

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Toon Boom Studio

Has anyone out there worked with Toon Boom Studio (www.toonboom.com) who would like to share their impression of the software and any experiences they may have had?

Thanks,

I'm using TB Harmony at school right now. I like the classic animation interface, the disc and the multiplaning abilities very much. Haven't done much with rigging puppets yet, though I hear it does that well.

My main question is about importing bitmap files. I know it does it, and they can be animated. But can they be distorted using key frames? If not, I can do it in After Effects, but it would be a lot better if I could do it all in that program.

you can distort and otherwise animate bitmaps in Toon Boom. I think you can now do it without using a peg, but I've been using the pegs for so long I don't often free myself of them.

Expect it to chug just a little bit if you have very many frames or pixels of bitmap. Toon Boom's strength is in vector graphics.

Cartoon Thunder
There's a little biker in all of us...

I'm struggling through the manual and tutorials at the moment. Am finding that there seems to be no real organization to the manual (seems to be just a listing/explanation of menu options). And the tutorials pick up right in the middle of the lesson. Was hoping for more of a step-1, step-2, step-3 guide that starts with a blank file and gives clear instructions on working forward--y'know, starting from the ground up and covering all the bases on the journey. All-in-all, I'm rather disappointed with this program. Am wondering if I should just scrap it and go back to Flash. :confused:

I just bought it.

I'm having major problems. I try to open up the tutorial, and the computer locks up at certain points. I could be doing something wrong.

I have ToonBoom Studio and am also having major problems with the drawing tools using a Cintiq tablet. When I start to draw, the moment the Wacom stylus touches the surface of the tablet a random line or blotches appears on the ToonBoom drawing screen . I hit Undo and try again, the same thing happens. Sometimes it doesn't happen . It's random. Usually it does happen once at the beginning of a drawing , then I can complete the drawing ok after that, but if at anytime during the drawing I hit Ctrl Z to undo then I get the random lines back again .

Does anyone else have this problem trying to draw in ToonBoom Studio using a Cintiq tablet ?

"EustaceScrubb" has left the building

:cool: Yeah, I bought it and same problem here---the tutorials are nothing but write-ups on the program's features. What I need is a Project tutorial---from start to finish. I also find the setup/controls unintuitive. Add the fact that you have to upgrade to a more expensive version to get special effects, and I'm now disturbingly p****d off. Won't buy from them folks again.
I live and learn, I learn and live.

The program comes with some partial projects that teach individual skills.

Exactly what kinds of problems are you having? The forum at Toon Boom is a great place to get help.

I've been using it for a few years now and have gotten pretty familiar with it. Feel free to email me for any guidance.

The customer service is pretty good there. I had the wrong impression for some time that I'd need to buy any customer service, but that's if you want immediate, right friggen now help. Otherwise they tend to get back to you in 24-36 hours, and often by then you can get help in the forum.

Cartoon Thunder
There's a little biker in all of us...

I'm glad to report that ToonBoom Tech Support came to the rescue on this one and now that I've downloaded the latest update to ToonBoom Studio (3.5.1) the problems using the Cintiq are gone !

They updated ToonBoom Studio to work with the Cintiq.

Thank you , ToonBoom.

"EustaceScrubb" has left the building