Search form

wet undream -- My First 2D Animation

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
wet undream -- My First 2D Animation

Hi.

I'm a 3D animator who's transitioning to Flash. This is my first attempt at 2D.

http://www.bpusher.com/

To be upfront, I don't like flash animation. I think it takes away what animation was built on- fluidity, realistic movements, while also having exaggerative elements such as squash and stretch. I think flash takes the sincerity and heart out of animation that makes films so distinct and astounding. As an aspiring animator, I wouldn't dare touch it until I'm sure I have uncanny drawing skills (i'm working on it). Sorry for being so preachy.

I have to say I agree with everyone else. Flash is not responsible for the poor animation you have seen made with it. And I would have to guess you've never seen any of the great stuff.

Flash was originally one of the first and relatively inexpensive softwares developed that allowed an artist to string together a number of frames and create animation on the computer. That leant itself to a huge number of beginning animators myself included to experiment and produce animation that previously was unattainable. Some of it held promise some of it was trash.

And if you don't even give it chance how would you know what it can do. I know with each project I completed I gained mastery and knowledge. What do you plan on using until you gain these uncanny drawing skills. Is there some magic software that will turn crap into roses.

Or are you just happy moving other peoples models around?

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

To be upfront, I don't like flash animation. I think it takes away what animation was built on- fluidity, realistic movements, while also having exaggerative elements such as squash and stretch. I think flash takes the sincerity and heart out of animation that makes films so distinct and astounding. As an aspiring animator, I wouldn't dare touch it until I'm sure I have uncanny drawing skills (i'm working on it). Sorry for being so preachy.

Wow cubitfox, that has to be the most completely uninformed statement on Flash I have ever come across. No squash and stretch??!!! I could point out a million examples, but I'll just point to these:

http://arjandpoopy.com/bouncy.html
http://www.arjandpoopy.com/ep10.html

You know what, I'll stop with just those example because even though I could go on and supply plenty of evidence to prove all of your statements wrong, I won't because this isn't the right thread for that. As you can tell, I'm passionate about Flash and I'm not normally this venomous when I post online, but I'm shocked by your statements. As I mentioned to Colin in another forum, I really like a lot of the traditional elements he has incorporated into his animation.

Flash Character Packs, Video Tutorials and more: www.CartoonSolutions.com

Forgive him Bluehickey, he knows not what he says.

Somewhere along the line Flash animation got confused with cut-price, crappy animation.

Well, there's plenty of cut-price, crappy Flash animation you can watch if you want to. There's also an aweful lot of cut-price, crappy 2D traditional or 3D animation out there too.

Good Flash animation, however, has all the elements any good animation has. Recognising that can be seen as a form of growing-up for any aspiring animator. Hopefully cubitfox will grow-up very soon.

It really helps if you use a graphics tablet in Flash. Can be very liberating, too, for some people (like me :D).

And you can get all of the traditional animation principles in, too.

Maybe a good ol' fashioned flogging is in store, eh?

Get to know me more through my blog at http://kaidonni.animationblogspot.com/! :cool:

Welcome to the AWN Forums Colin.

Some nice work Colin for starting out. It's a bit on the stiff side. I liked the walk, it was nice and interesting. Keep it up.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

As an aspiring animator, I wouldn't dare touch it until I'm sure I have uncanny drawing skills (i'm working on it).

That is good. :)

I will add though stretch and squash in Flash symbol animation is more about retaining area. In drawn with the illusion of 3dness is about retaining volume.
Symbol animation does dictate a certain form and is not everyone's cup o' tea. Sometimes this can be misarticulated by blaming the software.

I think we live in an exicting time of design given the parameters of flash .