Search form

Family Guy Software

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Family Guy Software

I've been closely studying the frame rate of the Family guy.

I keep getting more and more the feeling that Fox Animation is using more softwares than the traditional frame by frame tweening.

In the Family Guy, its a constant background, with many characters animated separately over the background, something that can be done on Flash.

Does anyone suspect the Family guy is done on flash?
Also the precise movements of hands and arms may be also done manually (via pressure sensitive tablets) for smoother movement. But overall, it is used by Flash. Also of reuses may be done from previous episodes.

I would hope anyone with an idea of how the Family guy is done, by which software and somehow making it more real than the current Flash animations.
Amount of animators, and the time to complete a 22 minute episode working concurrently right after the script has been written.

Just thought I'd throw my little Family Guy flash in here I did for CollegeHumor.com

I did it in Flash, fairly limited animation- But I thought it turned out okay (I didn't write it though, just the artwork)

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1715277

Thanks

They use Toon Boom. Not sure which specific version but almost certainly one of the studio enterprise editions.

It's animated traditionally with paper and pencil, then they use a digital ink and paint software for color. I don't know what that software is, but it's not Flash.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Thanks Animated Ape,

So if I undertsand correctly, it is done first one paper, then scanned to be drawn on digital ink? (and later colored).

I notice that in the Family guy, one background is enough to have a whole scene, while zooming in on parts of it to show selected characters. I assume it's a similar software to flash for this case. or I can be wrong.

Thanks Animated Ape,

So if I undertsand correctly, it is done first one paper, then scanned to be drawn on digital ink? (and later colored).

I notice that in the Family guy, one background is enough to have a whole scene, while zooming in on parts of it to show selected characters. I assume it's a similar software to flash for this case. or I can be wrong.

Yes, pretty much. It's all drawn and cleaned up on paper, scaned in then the color and outlines are done digitally.

As for the backgrounds, yeah, you can just draw one background then cut in and out. It saves time and money. I'm not sure what program they use for post production though. Probably After Effects or similar program. The show could be done in Flash, but it isn't.

Check this link: http://www.coldhardflash.com/2007/02/flinch-and-fatkat-join-family.html
These guys did a great job of animating the Family Guy's characters using Flash.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."