Search form

Out of curiousity...anyone here using Vista.

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Out of curiousity...anyone here using Vista.

It's going to be a while until I can afford a new computer, in fact I just upgraded to XP less than six months ago. I know my old unit can't handle Vista, but I was interested in the experience of animators that are trying it. How is software compatibility for one, and how much ram are you running?

phacker's picture
Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

i know someone who has just upgraded to vista and cant get anything to work with it

i personally see no benefit to it over xp as an animator

sure when 3dsmax is supported in full 64bit glory then it might be worth the switch, but a good quad core with tons of ram will do everything i need at a speed thats more than adequate

At the moment Windows XP Pro 64-bit edition will fit that bill and it is supported by nearly all 3D animation programs.

Software: TVPaint Pro, Harmony Standalone, Storyboard Pro, Maya, Modo, Arnold, V-Ray, Maxwell, NukeX, Hiero, Mari, RealFlow, Avid, Adobe CS6
Hardware: (2) HP Z820 Workstations + 144-core Linux Render Farm + Cintiq 24HD Touch

I've been using it with Maya for 3d and Flash for 2d with no compatibility issues at all so far.

One of my MFA instructors just got a new Vista machine, and he's having no end of problems with it.

i know someone who has just upgraded to vista and cant get anything to work with it

i personally see no benefit to it over xp as an animator

sure when 3dsmax is supported in full 64bit glory then it might be worth the switch, but a good quad core with tons of ram will do everything i need at a speed thats more than adequate

www.EvilAsSin.com
for more movies and downloads

the fastest polygon in the west!

YEEEEEHHHHAAAAA!

No plans to buy vista for at least two years or until it is absolutely necessary to upgrade.

Software: TVPaint Pro, Harmony Standalone, Storyboard Pro, Maya, Modo, Arnold, V-Ray, Maxwell, NukeX, Hiero, Mari, RealFlow, Avid, Adobe CS6
Hardware: (2) HP Z820 Workstations + 144-core Linux Render Farm + Cintiq 24HD Touch