Search form

NY/CT metro area - Now Showing Nominated Animated Shorts

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
NY/CT metro area - Now Showing Nominated Animated Shorts

A plug for my local film center - Jacob Burns Film Center, Pleasantville, NY (about 45 minutes from Manhattan) - they always manage to bring in the best.

Showtimes and Tickets

Just in time for the Academy Awards, a chance to see all the nominated animated shorts!
OSCAR-NOMINATED ANIMATED SHORTS
Monday, Feb 19
Wednesday, Feb 21

THE DANISH POET (Den Danske Dikteren)
Norway/Canada - 15 min. Kasper, a poet whose creative well has run dry, takes a holiday in Norway to meet the famous writer Sigrid Undset.

LIFTED
U.S. - 5 min. A young alien student from a distant world tests the patience of an increasingly weary instructor in a first-time abduction attempt.

THE LITTLE MATCH GIRL
U.S. - 7 min. A tale about a poor young girl who finds visions of happiness in the fiery flames of the matches that she lights to keep warm. Based on the Hans Christian Andersen story.

MAESTRO
Hungary - 5 min. Maestro sits in front of a dressing room mirror, and carefully prepares for his grand show.

NO TIME FOR NUTS
U.S. - 7 min. While trying to bury a nut during the Ice Age, Scrat uncovers a frozen time machine.

Additional Animated Shorts:
A Gentleman's Duel
Guide Dog
One Rat Short
The Passenger
Wraith of Cobble Hill

I hope the sell a lot of tickets.

Not trying to steal your thunder but there was a Pixar exhibition at a museum in New York last year. I have heard that this exhibition is now on tour, do you know anything about this.

Whenever I grumble about the high cost of living here, threads like this remind me that I'm lucky to have access to such much good stuff!

Yes, I went to see "20 Years of Pixar" at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) and highly recommend it to anyone that has a chance to see it. LOTS of good stuff. Not just one picture of Sully from Monsters Inc., but 12 different studies, textures, sizes, eyes. Lots or artwork, similar to the books "the Art of Finding Nemo". 3D models, background art, sketches with design notes. At the time "Cars" wasn't released yet and they had a lot on that. Very nice 20 minute intro film that spanned 3 screens and all their work.

Lasting impressions: - a LOT of stuff, boy was it crowded, John Lasseter is amazing.

Just wanted to add -- a 20 year retrospective is a wonderful thing, not to be missed, but going out to see what's produced today by up and coming animators is important, too.

I saw a screening of these late last week in San Francisco. On hand to discuss the shorts were producers and directors of three of the five shorts. Terrific hearing about the films from the filmmakers themselves. The screening was organized by AWN's own Ron Diamond, and was a terrific evening.

I'm starting to pull for "Danish Poet" - seen it twice, and like it more each time.