Search form

A Mac Tablet? Tablet PC users/Animators, I am looking for advice

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
A Mac Tablet? Tablet PC users/Animators, I am looking for advice

Hi all

I am sure all of you Mac using animators have keenly watched the macworld Expo this past week. I for one almost had a heart attack when i saw the release of a real tablet mac, even if it is moded and not neccesarily from Apple Inc.

I am curious as to what the thoughts, comments and advice those of you fellow animators have on Tablet PC's in general with regards to your animation/digital artwork production. What models do you own, how well good is the pressure sensitivity, and would you buy a Mac tablet, or this new Modbook?

I currently own a G5 dualcore, but have been considering a macbook pro and a newer Wacom tablet. I have also been looking into Tablet PC's. I use a Wacom Cintiq at the animation studio where i work, and simply LOVE drawing onscreen. I am a diehard Mac fan. However, With the actual release of this modbook mac tablet, I find myself not knowing what I should purchase.

Your opinions and thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Apple, give us a real, large screen Mac Tablet!!!

I finally got to test out a tablet PC. A good frined of mine just got a Fujitsu tablet PC, slate form factor, and I drew some character designs in Sketchbook Pro on it. I was very happy with the results and pressure sensitivity of this wacom Penabled tablet.

I hope to try Flash on it soon, to see how it works. Apparently, the model my friend owns came with 1 gb of memory, so hopefully it can keep up.

However, I still wait to see what Apple may do. Thanks for the comments, keep them coming!

Yep, I guess you can count me in as one of those who keenly watched (or read about) Steve Jobs keynote. However, that Modbook did not get me too excited because, well, it was a mod and was not an actual Apple release. Maybe you should really wait for Apple to come out with a real large, Mac tablet (which I seriously doubt they would, since there's no evident rumour that they would, but you never really know).

I use a Wacom Intuos and I have been dreaming of owning a Cintiq! I envy you guys who gets to use it at work (or those who personally own it).

My guess is you are looking at getting a tablet PC for it's portability. If that is 100% the case, and if your need is dire that you need it right away, then I guess you should go for it. There are some animators here who uses Tablet PCs, so expect them to give you some recommendations on brands.

I am done with portables, however. If it was me, I would get myself a Cintiq rather than a Tablet PC. Sure you are tied to your desk with it, but you can use it with any computer and down the road you don't have to worry about upgrading it like how you would if it was a Tablet PC.

Blog

Sandrock..

Thanks for the reply.

No, I do not need a tablet right away, but I do crave portability. However, going frokm 1024 levels of pressure to 256, ike most penabled tablets are it seems, seems a GIANT step down. I uncerstand I won't get Cintiq-like perforance, but i expect to be able to draw/animate in a productive fashion on a tablet.

I plan to waiut thru 2007. Who knows, with the release of this modbok, maybe apple will reconsider, hell, they have the patents. I would be the fitrst in line to purchase a large, widescreen tablet mac if officially released from Apple.

Thanks for the reply!

I got a second-hand tablet PC for christmas and I love it. But I must say that I haven't really put it to the test for animation yet. Primarily, I have been using it as a sketchbook and it does this job fantastically, the portability is great. I am using mainly Sketchbook and Artrage, as Photoshop and Painter struggle a bit on it, but this could be due to the 256mb of ram. So I'm not sure how it would handle Flash or Toon Boom and I bet there is no chance for any 3D work on one yet.

I must add that I'd still love a Cintiq too. Wacom's pressure sensitivity is the best.

Visit my website:

Claire O'Brien.com