Search form

Questions about animation studios????????

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Questions about animation studios????????

Hey whats up, I'm a high school student who loves art and have been drawing his whole life. I want to grow up and start an animation studio and have an incredible determination to do it(I mean their is nothing in this world that can stop me from accomplishing my goal!!!!!!!!!:mad: ).But I have many questions such as, what are some first steps you should take first before you even start thinking abot starting your own studio?, what are some mistakes you might of went through that I can avoid(if you tried to start your own studio). Do you need to be a millionaire or somthin first, to even start a studio(Oh yeah the type of studio I want to start is something like Blue sky studio, the studio that made ICE AGE or just a studio that creates commercials and advertisements because thats how Blue Sky Studio got started.Also what are some things you should know and expect when starting an art studio? I am now currently applying to RISD art pre-college program but I'm trying to learn and suck up any wisdom I can, for I can start planning a detailed game plan NOW at a young age. I know this going to take alot of hard work but just as the great Vince Limbardi said " Leaders aren't born, they are made. And they are made just like anything else, through hard work. And that's the price we'll have to pay to achieve that goal, or any goal."

Thank you very much :)

Thank you so much for replying and peachphuzz I hope to see you there to. Also,Animated Ape, can you tell me more about the Chief Creative Officer position???????? :)

Thanks for the advice!!!

I really appreciate your advice,BrioCyrain,and I am considering on buying some animation software but at the same time I'm not exactly sure if I want to be an animator. I'm also considering being a cartoon artist and drawing comicbooks or just going to business school like animated ape said, because all I'm trying to figure out now is a path to get to my main goal which is owning a animation studio. Also the reason why I want to own an animation studio is because I love art and business and for me I always thought why go punch a clock for somebody else my whole life, when I can run the whole show???

P.S.
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with doing that, but for me thats just my mindset.

Robin08, the Chief creative officer is pretty much the person who has the final say about all artistic choices on a project. It's very rare that that person is the same person who runs the studio. Most people aren't good at both creative and business situations.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Ape is right, Alot of people say that the person who pays the workers is usually the person doing the creative process, but that isn't the case. You can be the president of the studio, but you'll rarely get to be deciding what your minions are doing besides making sure they have legal care and getting their cash. The whole point is being the top leader of the company is keeping from falling through. Bill gate's microsoft made the Xbox 360 and Bungie who is owned by Microsoft made Halo, but I bet Bill Gate's never had anything to do with the actual creation of the 360 or Halo series besides making sure it happened.

You love art and animation, but if your going to be the owner, the only thing you'll do is be in meetings with the directors, lead animators, and writers and rarely oversee their work besides these "creative" meetings. The president of Nintendo probably loves the games his company makes, but that's it...He can advertise it and everything, but the real person making them is a proffesional game designer and director.

So it comes down to either HELPING your studio or BEING your studio.

Animation writer who loves...Animation!

Well I think the Chief Creative Officer sounds like the Creative Director. The Creative Director is usually the Chief worker who decides the plot and what steps are taken to create the film or Video game. They can also be the Lead Designer of the project and doing the important art like in Final Fantasy Versus XIII where the Director does the Concept Art and Character Design. Also this could be termed as the Chief Writer(like Tommy Yune for Robotech) and/or Chief Artist(Versus XIII).

Also if you want to be an animator proffesional then I suggest you should have taken some Animation classes in your high school if provided, also work with Animation software like Flash(I do animations in flash frequently), so if you haven't soaked up the concept and feel recently, I don't see how you will be able to understand by the time you actually get into a college program or major and understand even the primitive concepts.

We can all watch Anime and cartoons, but get some software, work on your drawing before you even have a second thought of actually joining a college program and/or major. Take it from me, Animation is a very patient process, I have animated 10-20 seconds of footage in Flash....and that takes around one to four hours just drawing and animated the mouths to voices.

So if you have the patience, skill, and primitive know-how, then and only then you can take Animation seriously.

Animation writer who loves...Animation!

hey

i really want to go to the risd pre-college program this year too! maybe i'll see you there. :)

Welcome to the AWN Forums Robin and Peachphuzz. That's a great goal to have Robin to start your own feature film studio. You don't have to be a millionare to start one, but it help. At least you should know a few so they can invest in your studio to help it get on it's feet.

If you are going to start and run an animation studio, don't go to art school. Go to a business school. In running a studio, you're not going to be dealing with character designs and BG's all day. Your day is going to be filled with making sure the studio can afford to pay all your artist. Dealing with clients who want the impossible for cheap. Getting more clients. Looking over spread sheets of budgets and scheduals and all that fun stuff. If you want to be the Chief Creative Officer, then you'll be dealing with more of the art side, but you'll have to hire someone you can trust to do all the buisness stuff.

It's an esspecially hard road you've picked. First to go into animation, then to start your own studio from the ground up. I hope you make it, just be prepared for a long, bumpy road.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."