Search form

How long it takes?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
How long it takes?

HI!

How long it takes to make 22 minutes of 2D animation and with how many animators involved?

For example, an episode of The Simpsons?

Any idea?

Cheers

plasma's picture
AnImAtion is coNceNtRatioN

AnImAtion is coNceNtRatioN

Ken,
Do you know how much they pay their animators at big studios like pixar, dreamworks ? How many animators working at those studios? thanx :)

Beo Nguyen - yesthisismyday

Here's a good place to get an idea as to what salaries are at some of the larger studios....

I would guess that some of these numbers might vary depending on where you work...though, I'm not totally sure.

http://www.animationguild.org/_Contract/Contract_h/cntrctFRM.html

Let's do some math, okay?

There's 24-30 frames of animation in 1 second, depending on whether you use film or video.
Let's stick with video because that more common these days.

So, if you have 30 frames per second, and 60 seconds in a minute, you have

30 fr X 60 seconds = 1800 Frames in 1 minute.
Multiply 1800frames by 22 minutes and you have 39600 frames in 22 minutes.
That is approximately your total frame count.

Now, in the old days, the length of a given scene was determined by a value called footage--which was around 16 frames for 1 foot of film.
So divide 39600 frames by 16 and you get 2475 feet.

Now......some things to consider:
How many characters? How many camera move? How many scenes in the show? How many and how complicated are the effects animation, if any?
How much animation is going to be re-used or cycled?

Depending on the animator's skill you might get between 10-40 feet a week of them. Again, depending on the complexity of the scene and the stuff happening in it, it could be more, it could be less.

Let's average that out somewhat--let's say that, on average a single animator can produce 25 feet a week of 2D animation.
Since most of that would be on "two's" - or every other drawing counting as a new image in the chain that would be around 200 drawings per week, or around 40 drawings per day--assuming a 5 day week.
This will allow for corrections, and revisions/consultations as the week progresses.

So, if you have one animator producing 25 feet per week, it would take a SINGLE person 99 weeks to animate ONE 22 minute show.
Obviously that's a bit too much time.
If you had 50 animators, if would take just about 2 weeks to animate that whole episode.
If you had 100 animators, it would take 1 week.

The ACTUAL numbers working on a show, like the Simpsons, is probably somewhere between 50 and 100 animators, and the schedule is probably around 2-3 weeks, maybe 4.

And after that........there's clean-up/inbetweens.......

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

From script to post you are looking at around 30 weeks for the first show.

The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself. My Blog: Strange Thoughts

The ACTUAL numbers working on a show, like the Simpsons, is probably somewhere between 50 and 100 animators, and the schedule is probably around 2-3 weeks, maybe 4.

And after that........there's clean-up/inbetweens.......

If I am not mistaken, only the storyboard is done locally, while the inbetweening and clean ups are outsourced to S. Korea, to my knowledge.

If correct, would it still be required to have 50-100 animators locally? Just for the storyboard?

If I am not mistaken, only the storyboard is done locally, while the inbetweening and clean ups are outsourced to S. Korea, to my knowledge.

If correct, would it still be required to have 50-100 animators locally? Just for the storyboard?

No, we are talking just the animation here, you are confusing the two. Storyboard is a completely different thing, and would require only about 2-3 people and a 4 week schedule--on average.
Layout, animation, clean-up and inbetweens would all be outsourced--with layout being the only iffy one.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)