Search form

Cobster's Gallery

79 posts / 0 new
Last post

The second one is great Claire! I bought a tablet and could not learn to use it for the life of me!! too many years of using the mouse I guess. And too many years since I picked up a drawing pad and pencil!!! :-\ You are doing much better than I ever could do in such a short time! Keep practicing and I am sure we will see great things from you.

I really envy you being able to use Maya. I have always wanted to learn that program but alas, it just was not meant to be with this Grandmother!! LOL Swish Max is as good as it gets for me.

Howdy and welcome!

Hi Claire,

First off, welcome to the Dailey sketch thread. Nice looking work. I'm a newbie to the drawing pad world. I have a wacom and a 17" cintiq. I love my cintiq. You should post some of your traditional art. We'd love to see some and also some of your Maya.

cartuneman:D

Thanks so very much Ms. cobster:D

cart

Drawing on the Right Hand Side of the Brain

I've always ingnored Betty Edwards's book "Drawing on the Right Hand Side of the Brain" because I stupidly thought that I never needed it. I have changed my mind and I am now reading it and doing the exercises, so we'll see how I get on. Here are the first three drawings she asks you make:

The self portrait (:o)

The drawing from imagination (one of my drawing weaknesses)

My hand

Visit my website:

Claire O'Brien.com

Hey Cartuneman, you're pretty good at digi-colouring for being self-taught! It's a difficult thing to do, after all. Like I said in your thread, I like your coloured-pencil work and you just need transfer that style over to photoshop, maybe use a grainer, spackled brush instead of a soft edged one.

Her are my latest skecthes all fone in Sketchbook Pro, my Grandma and Nephew. Babies are so hard to draw proprotionally. Not too pleased with any of these.

Visit my website:

Claire O'Brien.com

Thanks for stopping by Katana.

Yeah, I'm not having much joy with my italic pens, they are felt tips rather than a proper calligraphic nibs and to get those varied strokes you describe I have to slow the speed of my strokes down which feels a bit unnatural. I'd love to be able to do pen work well but I've never pulled it off. I can but keep trying though :).

Thanks again,
Claire.

Visit my website:

Claire O'Brien.com

Here are some digital paintings of St Trinian's church in the Isle of Man that is featured in the Manx fairy tale "The Buggane of St Trinian's". I'm aiming for that eerie atmosphere, c&c always welcome, thanks.

Visit my website:

Claire O'Brien.com

Here is my latest progess on the CG Talk Strange Behaviour Challenge:

I'd better get my skates on, time is running out!

Visit my website:

Claire O'Brien.com

Well now, that looks ricketily interesting! You definitely have the CG edge over me, heh.

good to see oils...:). nice work mate.

Thanks Jabberwocky,

I didn't know you did CG work too. I still have some way to get to your drawing level though.

Thanks for visiting.

Visit my website:

Claire O'Brien.com

Haven't posted here for a while, here's an attempt at cartoonyness from me, done in Artrage and hope it's visble this time.

Visit my website:

Claire O'Brien.com

Here are some more sketches done with pencil on paper. Some face studies and some copies of Arthur Rackham's goblins.

Visit my website:

Claire O'Brien.com

Thanks.

My latest pursuit is to learn solid anatomy, so I'm going from the bones outward starting with the vertebral column. Here is a drawing copied from Paul Richer.

Visit my website:

Claire O'Brien.com

All of your artwork is pretty amazing. But I like your drawing of, I think, the human spine. Well done.

Hi, be sure to check out my blog! A few thing there, and I'll also be putting some of my work (pictures and short carttons) there too in the future: http://ukracattack.blogspot.com:)
I am also making a Flash animated cartoon that I plan to air on it's website in Fall 2008. It's called Tednut and it's about an personified peanut named Ted and his friend Kernal, and their basic adventures in their town of Sleepy Oaks, New York: http://tednut.sampasite.com:D

Thanks for looking guys and taking the time to post.

As requested here is some of my traditional work. It's called "Heavenly Angel" and I think I finished it in 2005. It's oil on canvas, 4 and half feet by 3 and a half feet and is part of a series of angel paintings inspired by my time living in Venice, Italy.

My favourite 3D software is actually Softimage XSI and that is what I am using to make my short film, here is an XSI render of the two main characters, you may recognise them from my avatar. They were modelled in XSI also.

Visit my website:

Claire O'Brien.com

Thanks Cartuneman, I think it took me about two hours, with the usual interuptions you get when you draw in a public place :).

Visit my website:

Claire O'Brien.com

Thanks, here's some more anatomy:

Visit my website:

Claire O'Brien.com

wow! i love that angel painting!!! the colors are really nice! i like the contrast between the black of the face and the white of the wings...makes it look mysterious in a way.

those two characters from your avatar are incredible! i like how the face is very small compared to the entire head, almost makes them look like dolls!

i love your work, i really want to see more of it! :D

Good stuff, learning all this anatomy will improve your drawing all around. Don't forget to draw quick and loose from life though.

Here's an Artrage sketch (1 hour) of an open fire from a house up in Scotland.

Visit my website:

Claire O'Brien.com

I scanned my previous sketch and brought it into Sketchbook and defined the lines and gave the figure wings to turn him into an angel.

Crits always welcome.

Visit my website:

Claire O'Brien.com

My Final Drawing on the Right Hand Side of the Brain Drawings

Here are my final "Drawing on the Right Hand Side of the Brain" drawings. I'm astounded at the improvement when you look at my pre-"Right-Hand..." self portrait to my post-"Right-Hand...". My drawing is not perfect but far more accomplished than it was. I really recommend following this book. As ever comments welcome.

Value sketch after Daumier

Self Portrait

Visit my website:

Claire O'Brien.com

Switching to the Right Hemisphere

Here are a couple of sketches that were exercises in switching to using the right hemisphere of the brain.

A copy from an upside down Picasso that was done to show that when you look at something you should draw what you see not what you think you know is there.

A recreation of a childhood drawing that illustrates your use of symbols, something that the left hemisphere relies upon.

Not very original from me but all part of the fun.

Has anyone else followed this book?

Visit my website:

Claire O'Brien.com

Wow, The difference between the first and last self portait is a huge improvement!

Looks like the exercises are really helping out.

I really like your spine studies! Real strong drawing. Nice one

i like the thread. some really well done pieces...:). and sargent is one of my favorite artists..:). nice to see u worked on him too.

cheers.

Here are some more Drawing on the Right-hand side of the Brain exercises based on sighting.

A warm up copy of a John Singer Sargent:

A profile from life:

C&C always welcome.

Visit my website:

Claire O'Brien.com

Pages