Search form

Cinema 4D Question

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cinema 4D Question

I'm new to 3D animation and have just enrolled in a class at my local state university. This particular university does not have a formal animation major, although it does have a digital arts minor. However, it's the only university that offers some classes in animation in my area.

I guess my primary question involves the fact that we are using an old version of Cinema 4D (version 8). He told us that the program is out of date and that it may be difficult to find copies. He did say that once you learn one 3D program, it's easier to learn others -- like Maya. Nevertheless, I've heard that Maya is a very complex program -- taking years to learn, and I question whether taking a class in an out-of-date program is worth the financial commitment -- or if it might be better to put the money toward an online course in Maya.

I took a course in flash animation from the same university, and I’ve basically been picking and choosing classes that I think would be valuable for an animator. Anyone with advice for a post-bachelor (not in animation) student looking for ways of preparing herself for a practical career in animation, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Yeah C4D 8 is kind of old and would be pretty hard find. Cinema 4D 10 is already out and the time between 8 and 10 there have too many improvements to count. Hair and MoGraph modules were made, Bodypaint 3D 3 has been integrated into the main module, better OpenGL support and MOCCA 3 made leaps over bounds in the field of character animation in Cinema 4D.

In regards to Maya yeah its pretty complex and the learning curve is pretty steep but doesn't stop it being one of most popular applications at major game and animation studios. Most stick with this software because it pretty much an industry standard along with 3D Studio Max. Though I still prefer Cinema 4D and Softimage|XSI over Maya.

If you want to learn 3D animation then I would strongly suggest the program at animation mentor: http://animationmentor.com/ Its about 6 classes costing around $15,000 but is completely online you are tought the art of character animation in Maya from industry professionals. Check out the link!

Software: TVPaint Pro, Harmony Standalone, Storyboard Pro, Maya, Modo, Arnold, V-Ray, Maxwell, NukeX, Hiero, Mari, RealFlow, Avid, Adobe CS6
Hardware: (2) HP Z820 Workstations + 144-core Linux Render Farm + Cintiq 24HD Touch

ANY class that teaches software that is two full revs old isn't worth your time or money.

If you want to learn Maya, then study Maya. You can get a free learning edition from their website, and they offer a full range of books for purchase that will teach you the basics. Both of these are very good. There are also tons of web resources available for learning the necessary skills.

Your instructor is right in saying that knowing one 3D program - any 3D program - makes the next one easier to learn. Once you wrap your brain around how 3D works, it's mostly a matter of learning where the buttons are and how the tools vary from one app to another.

Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it. I feel very much at sea trying to decide what classes I need to pursue a career considering the university I'm attending does not have a formal animation program. I'm beginning to question whether any of the classes are worth the time and money considering their animation courses are obviously not heavily emphasized.

I have the option of taking a course in digital imaging and design. The course seems to be focused on graphics porgams -- such as photoshop, as opposed to animation specific programs. I'm curious if, to those who are more experienced in the field than I am, such a course seems valuable for an animator-hopdeful?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

If you really want a career in animation, you need to study the principles and techniques of animation. Software is just the tool you'll use to do your job. All the major studios have some expression that goes like this: "We can teach an artist to use software; we can't teach a software user to be an artist."

Start with books like Illusion of Life and Cartoon Animation to get the basics down, then move onto Animator's Survival Kit, which is more advanced. Don't let the drawings put you off - the techniques in these books apply equally to 3D and 2D. There are also lots of web resources out there - search using terms like "animation technique".

The most important thing to do is animate. Animation is a skill that takes years to refine, and the more you do it the faster you'll get good. You're already on a tough path, since your college doesn't have a formal program, but lots of terrific animators are self-taught, so it can be done. The good news is there are more resources available now than ever before, so finding the info you need is pretty easy.