Search form

Where can i take drawing courses

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Where can i take drawing courses

i want to take part time drawing courses where they teach skills like prespective, and other basic drawing skills so i can prepare my portfolio

i m looking for drawing courses mainly in Surrey, or Delta BC

i know surrey art studio also offer drawing courses but i m not sure how well they teach drawing skills there (any info on how are drawing courses in surrey art studio)

also Vanarts also offer part time drawing classes but problem is thier calesses are eveing time from 7 to 10 pmand i live in surrey so if i take sky train there and i m not sure if sky train operates till 12's clock a.m.

so i m mostly looking for drawing courses in surrey or delta in BC

You will spend about a hundred bucks taking a drawing course in the Vancouver/Lower Mainland area, either at a college like Vanarts or VFS--and it'll take about 10-12 weeks, on average for the class. Usually they fall around the same schedule so their might be some starting in the new year.

Now you can do that, spend that time and money......ooorrrrrr.........

Just go by any Chapters, or a good comic-book store and look for some books like Perspective for the Comic Book artist, or similar titles.
That or something basic like How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way, which has some basic ( albeit comics-oriented) drawing lessons, and has a really good chapter on perspective.
Cost will be under $20--time will be maybe a couple hours out of a day, and then your drawing time once you have the book.

A part-time class will likely not give you that much face-time to go over basic stuff, and the books cover pretty much the same thing.
In the same amount of time as a course ( actually, less), you can pick up the basics at a fraction of the cost.

Your choice.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

One big thing is to be sure spend the time drawning. I have a lot of books on drawning but I only put in an hour a week, if that.

^^^^ i m thinking about doing both buying books on drawing also thinking about taking drawing calsses that way i will gain as much knoweldge on drawing skills:D

what do u think of drawing courses in surrey art studio do they teach good fundementals on drawing skills

One thing you might find in art class is that they don't often "teach". Very rarely is it a "how to" approach. You're given an assignment and you work on it, whether it's a still life or life drawing. You might go over how to improve it.

I like your belt and suspender's approach, working on your own and in a class is a great way to start. I'd also recommend going to a museum and doing an Audio Tour - where you wear a headset and listen to comments. When done well, they are fantastic. Next would be to bring pencil and paper into a museum and draw from paintings.

Another fun exercise is to bring a sketch book and do lots and lots of quick sketches of the people around you. Just gesture lines to get the sense of movement.

For an affordable online course, check this site out for fundamentals:

http://www.geeguides.com/demo/

$70 for 16 lessons. You can try out one lesson. Lots of Disney folks behind this. I think it's cool, but I've only done the one lesson. I think I'm going to get it for my son.

Community colleges are a great place to start. Make sure you talk with the department head and tell them your goals, but I think you'll find the experience worthwhile. You'll have interaction with other students and the instructor, and sometimes it's the interaction that's most important.

There are a lot of good online resources as well, but sometimes the human interaction is just as important.

Perspective is a matter of "vanishing point" which is an easy concept to wrap yourself around through self learning, but critiquing and interaction with others is something that can only be taught through human interaction.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

I offer a video training drawing course. The course is geared towards Flash users, but a lot of it is just regular ol' drawing principles that apply to all mediums. The latter part of the course goes into detail about how to get your characters cleaned up and colored and ready for animation.

Cost is $175 for 17 video tutorials, plus notes. You are given assignments at the end of each lesson to accomplish. You can even upgrade to "Instructor Feedback" if you want me to personally tutor and help. The great thing though, is that you can do it from your home!

More details:
http://www.cartoonsolutions.com/flash_video_animation_training.html

Flash Character Packs, Video Tutorials and more: www.CartoonSolutions.com

'Hickey's tutorials are terrific. They provide simple methods for getting top rate results.

I took a semester of figure drawing a couple of years ago that helped me a lot--it was the only full semester art class I've ever taken--but a few of these video tutorials put things into a few simple steps that changed and improved my approach, and shaved time off the amount of time it was taking me to get a drawing done.

Great stuff.

Cartoon Thunder
There's a little biker in all of us...

Rupert, thanks for the kind words, good to see that the steps are helping out! I'll have to use your quote somewhere on the website if you don't mind!

Flash Character Packs, Video Tutorials and more: www.CartoonSolutions.com

you betcha. I've been thinking about it this week and realized that several techniques you taught me have become part of my process, much to my benefit. Thank you.

Cartoon Thunder
There's a little biker in all of us...