Search form

California?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
California?

I read in one of those how-to books that if you want to succeed as an animator, you HAVE to move to California. Is this true??

On a side note, does anyone keep an image library [for references]? I'm interested in starting one, but I'm not sure as to how to start/keep it organized.

It depends on your definition of "succeed." Certainly there are more animation jobs in California than almost anywhere else, but it's possible to earn a living doing animation in other places too. Blue Sky is in New York, DNA in Texas, Big Idea was in Chicago. Our buddy Ken does just fine up in Canada, in a small town (as I understand it). Personally, I live in California but work for a company in Nevada.

You can make it living elsewhere besides California, but your choices and opportunities are more limited. By the same token, the competition is less fierce outside the LA/SF metro areas.

Yea,the California myth is pretty much just that.
Spent my entire 21 year career getting working in, around, and from Vancouver, with the odd freelance gig from the States, Europe, Asia etc--I can pay my bills on what work I get.
Now, its PREFERABLE to be close enough to a major animation centre, especially when starting out, but its not totally necessary to get work once established.

Vancouver is crazy busy right now, tons of things happening, and more on the way. With broadband internet, good computer speeds, assroted digital tools and software, there's no real need to "be" somewhere unless its to get face-time.
If you LIKE California, then set yourself up there--I'd move there if I could afford a house down there ( not likely, LOL) just to be closer to Disneyland ( its a quirkof mine ) and warmer temps, but I was born and raised in Vancouver and know it so well. I'd like to stay "close to home" for now.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Both DSB and Ken Davis are right. Competition here is fierce. Students from my school (Cal State Fullerton) have to compete for the limited number of jobs with the students from Cal Arts, Academy of Art University, the Art Institutes( all five of them), and numerous other schools located in California.

Its not impossible to get a job here but you have pretty good skills to do so. Exactly where do you live?

Software: TVPaint Pro, Harmony Standalone, Storyboard Pro, Maya, Modo, Arnold, V-Ray, Maxwell, NukeX, Hiero, Mari, RealFlow, Avid, Adobe CS6
Hardware: (2) HP Z820 Workstations + 144-core Linux Render Farm + Cintiq 24HD Touch

I'd move there if I could afford a house down there ( not likely, LOL) just to be closer to Disneyland ( its a quirkof mine )

Disneyland is only 13 minutes from our school. Almost everybody in the animation program that I've met has Disney Land Seasonal pass.

Software: TVPaint Pro, Harmony Standalone, Storyboard Pro, Maya, Modo, Arnold, V-Ray, Maxwell, NukeX, Hiero, Mari, RealFlow, Avid, Adobe CS6
Hardware: (2) HP Z820 Workstations + 144-core Linux Render Farm + Cintiq 24HD Touch

Which book did you read that in Artsy?

There are certainly more studios in California there pretty much anywhere else in the world. More studios equals more animation jobs. Wether you get in depends on your abilities.

Yeah, I keep an image file. I have it sorted by men, women, boys girls, animals, nature, animation drawings and stuff like that. I don't use it as much as if I was an illustrator, but I do use it a few times a month.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

I used to work in Nevada, though at a game company, and it was pretty much the only deal in town. When it withered away I eventually made my way out to CA. There is certainly plenty of work to go around, especially if you are a bit established or know people. In today's digital age, though, I don't think you have to be here. In fact, I think you might be better off somewhere in Asia. ;)

I keep an image reference folder but it is becoming large in folders. Cities, temples & ruins, fashion, anatomy, or even separte folders on locations like Morocco or the Japan. It then becomes difficult to find what I am looking for. I am also constantly adding to it.

If you LIKE California, then set yourself up there--I'd move there if I could afford a house down there ( not likely, LOL) just to be closer to Disneyland

Envy me :) - I'm headed down to Dland this weekend.

Like everyone else has said, it's an advantage but not a necessity. I'm based in the DC area and work remotely through the internet. I think it's harder to find work, but it's definitely possible.

My image library consists of various art books. It's easier to keep the books organized and to actually reference when needed.

Sharvonique Studios
www.sharvonique.com

Animated By Sharvonique Blog
http://sharvonique.animationblogspot.com

AWN Showcase Gallery

Envy me :) - I'm headed down to Dland this weekend.

Yes, I DO envy you. I was there in late August of this year, and even now I crave those yummy corn dogs from that kiosk on Mainstreet. Damn, whatta feed.....

Next time I'll try the turkey leg, or the Monte Cristo........

Oh, and on the image reference....

Yea, over the years I've had a couple of "artist's Morgues" or swipe files--the terms most common for visual reference.
Typically is a series of file folders with clippings and such from all sorts of sources; newspapers, magazines, catalogues and such.
In days gone by, the Yellow Pages phone book was long considered a prime reference source because it had a LOT of clip art in it--and still has some use these days.
Its almost become redundant now though, with Google at our fingertips, though I still maintain a sizable library of books and such for specific usage.
Something that I found handy for a short while was a National Geographic CD-ROM set, with every issue's content from the first one in the late 1800's up to around 1998--when I got the set.
Cannot beat some of the material in that magazine.

That sounds like an amazing resource, Ken. How much does that run?

That sounds like an amazing resource, Ken. How much does that run?

Last time I checked, it was about $150 Cdn,, and that was back in '98. Obviously, back then it ran on Win 98 so I dunno if it will work on XP etc.--I haven't used my set in a few years.

DSB hit on something I want to add more to: The illustation reference.
I have kicking around here about three or four 3-ring binders, with xeroxes of various art images--everything from comics strips to anime stuff to designs for a show or three is tucked into these things.

Everything from Roy Crane to Otomo Katsuhiro is in there.

I call them my "Goodie Books"--and all they are meant to be is a mismash of instant inspiration.
The idea is to have art in it that has something that "solves a problem" for you--how to render a ocena going ship's wake for example, or a particularly neat fish-net stocking pattern on a fore-shortened leg. That kind of thing. I look at the Goodie books as almost a tradeable commodity. If two or more artists have 'em they can peek in other's, then can snag copies of the stuff that grabs them, and expand their own set.
Its personalized right from the outset because its YOUR tastes combines with your sensiblities on what solves drawing/art problems for you. The images can be pulled from anywhere.
Over time, books like this are worth their weight in gold.

My morgue has 3 drawers full of files that are named similar to the Animated Ape, male female children ..but is huge in science and tech, from when I illustrated SF.
Lately the animal files are larger and had to be re-sectioned because my interests have changed. I use my style folders to see how other artists solved problems or if I get in a color rut, where all my stuff looks like a specific color went on sale. Like Sharvonique, I do have a massive library of photographic books for reference and it is easier sometimes. Friends know I collect them so regift old books or find new ones for me. One hint, don't clutter your files with stuff you don't want to draw or will never use.

i think in canada cities like vancouver and toronto are getting quite big in animation industry not to mention disney/buene vista has one gaming studio here in vancouver and yes there will be more studioes opening in couple of yrs

i think in canada cities like vancouver and toronto are getting quite big in animation industry not to mention disney/buene vista has one gaming studio here in vancouver and yes there will be more studioes opening in couple of yrs

Too late, heh............Vancouver's been big in the industry for well over a decade now.
We've got a lot of animation studios already.....
Studio B, Bardel Entertainment, Atomic Cartoons, I think Pork and Bean is still active, Nitrogen was around for a while, Vanguard is the new kid on the block.
Add Mainframe to it and probably another even dozen or so smaller Mom & Pops like Carbunkle and the city is hopping with animation.

For games, there's the aforementioned Disney/Buena Vista shop, add Electronic Arts' big facility in Burnaby and Radical in Vancouver, again.......probably another 1/2 dozen smaller venues around town.

And as you cross the country there's studios dotting the land here and there until you get to Toronto/Ottawa area, where the numbers bunch up again, but not as dense as Vancouver is these days.

Yep, its busy up North.

Next time I'll try the turkey leg, or the Monte Cristo........

The Monte Cristo is the BEST. I'm getting a special treat on this trip; my brother knows a Club 33 member, so we're going to chow down there for dinner Saturday. I'll post some pictures when I get back.

As for reference - I used to keep more than I do now, and still keep the occasional image that grabs my eye or is rare. With image searches on Google, etc., it's just easier to go find what I need when I need it.

What I DO keep is examples of illustration styles that I like or characters that intrigue me. That fills a couple of binders on my bookshelf.