Search form

What got you interested in animation?

62 posts / 0 new
Last post

a toast to good ol' scooter, phacker.

Thanks. I am sure she's sitting with your friends while they play a game of rummy and watching us dumb mortals make asses out of ourselves.

And my apologies to the Care Bear folks, I actually bought my neice a couple of them. And I still remember the "Care Bear" stare thing.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

I just have to finally chime in here with what everyone has thought but no one has said. I've have watched phacker post for years and you are a complete hack, no talent posting banshee. Your work is everything that is bad and awful about internet flash animation. You give nothing but terrible professional and animation advice, when you in fact have no industry experience. Making crappy eCards and conning people who don't know any better into freelance doesn't count. You wish had a tenth of the talent it takes to make a care bear cartoon. I am not sure you even truly have a passion for animation. You post because by your sheer flooding of the forum, you have managed to obtain some small amount of notoriety/celebrity with bright eyed animation students who don't know any better. You and a few others drone on and on about the same crap/arguments over and over. AWN forums have become a complete joke within the industry. There are some truly talented and passionate people on here, but they are completely buried in your spam. If you spent less time posting and more time animating you'd probably be a decent animator.

I know a few bodies from the Care Bear days, and I'd certainly NOT lambast them for their work. A lot of those souls are the foundation of the current biz these days. Yea, the cartoon might be lame, but the hands that made sure as shootin' are not. I arrived just on the tail end of all that stuff, and was on the wrong side of the continent for it, but I respect the guys that were over there.

For my esteemed Ulalume, I have bite marks and teeth trenches all over mine own thorax from the animation bug. It has bitten, but its vile venom has never run its course, never altered my DNA to that of yours and others.

Well said.

I agree with the Care Bear comment, Ken, and that leads into what got me in to animation.

Another "crappy" show from the 80's called He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. I loved that show as a kid, and it sold me on animation ever since. Like Ken said, the show may have been "lame", but the heavy hitters that worked on it are certainly NOT. Tom Sito might have something to say to you about that, Phacker. Careful, buddy... ;)

And for Ulalume, chill out. Phacker didn't say anything too bad... until you started up. And Phacker, you chill out too. Let your question be a jumping point and let it evolve naturally. It could turn into something even more interesting.

Follow @chaostoon on Twitter!

well said mr. chaos guy.....to be brutally honest and come clean (for once), I am just a poor boy though my story's seldom told, I am in fact still a callow student full of dreams and visions(as some of you clever charlies have already divined, but I DO hope to one day break into this facinating business that you have all made your career..I look forward everyday to hearing the opinions, admonishings and dicta of you older guys in your 20s (maybe one or two of you are even well established in your 30s??) so please do keep those teachings coming...and yes, I think that Ulalame fellow has gone overboard with his cutting comments..who does he think he is, anyhow ???? (my bet he is but another smart aleck teen like myself)

Laocoön

How could I have overlooked this fascinating thread for so long?

What got me interested in animation was probably the exaggeration: quick movements, bright colors, subdued and grotesque features, thick outlines, incongruous sound effects, brash music.

How could I have overlooked this fascinating thread for so long?

What got me interested in animation was probably the exaggeration: quick movements, bright colors, subdued and grotesque features, thick outlines, incongruous sound effects, brash music.

Yeah it's really long thread I agree.. I think it's coz of ppl like animation... That's all :)) And I join to them ;)

Keep clear!

...the cool minty taste and the trading cards.

Little Dick

You know I'm all for a silly dialogue and playfull banter among fellow bloggers-posters-animators-whatevers, but..... I think that throwing out lines that are intended to get an adverse rise out of others is just plain not nice.
Maybe ,Phacker, you might be over reacting to the jibes that others seem to be directing at you. Maybe not.
On the other hand those jibes are obviously intended to get you p-o'ed which, even though free speech is our right in a democracy, someone being a jerk is still a jerk. But whatever.
I still enjoy lurking about and seeing what others think and what arguments they get into. As long as the argument doesn't boil down into childish personal attacks.....

Now where did I put my hammer and sicle?

The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself. My Blog: Strange Thoughts

Enough is Enough

If this banter doesn't stop immediately, this childish name calling, etc., then I'll begin to ban people from the forums.

You know who you are, you know why I've stepped in. There is no need for discussion or prolonged bouts of finger pointing. You're making this thread and these forums a personal jousting ring. Take it somewhere else. Now.

Dan

Dan Sarto is Publisher and Editor-in-Chief of Animation World Network.

love is all around

..and yes, we do have our war tales...having worked buttock to buttock to buttock with Ulalume and Herr Kenny under the iron hand of the despotic Mr Dome, we've seen the bottom of the abyss and the top of the pops..we came out of the situation shaken and stirred..I was once a strapping lad as many hands high as a draft horse, and now I am a pathetic quivering 7 lbs .....but that 7 lbs is nothing but pure heart, a heart bursting with love for my fellow man...and so I DO care for you all..I stretch out my tiny love drenched hands to everyone..I care as much for jabberwocky or phacker or HH or Dan as I do for the love that drips from my fingers...let's get this thread back where it belongs fellows!....( kleenex please)

To get back to the original question. I had always been drawing and trying to make little comics, but it was when I saw Robotech on TV. That's when I knew what I wanted to do in life.

Pages