Search form

An Animator, Artist and A writer....?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
An Animator, Artist and A writer....?

hey all, It's been so long i havent been here. My modem got blown up by lightning, such pity. Anyway, I was just wondering today halfway updating myself again in the forums.......

What's so different between an animator, an artist and a writer? (Excluding how they do it) I see like an animator expresses one's creativity, imagination, knowledge, passion, feelings and emotions into his own hard work. But hey, isn't that the same with an artist? He draws a static picture for all to comprehend but again everything seems to be inside. The same thing seems to go with a writer in expressing everything in beautiful words.

So tell me, what's the difference between them? (Again, besides how they do it) Are they all more closer than expected? I ask you all this. Thank you.

Depends on your definition of animator. Some professional animators simply move other people's creations around following direction.

Artists and writers tend to create totally new work based on their knowledge. Of course there are commerical artists in both fields that basically tween others' ideas also.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

I think the difference is what on their contracts. If you're hired as a writer, you are a writer, as an animator, you are an animator. An artist is a creator, someone who makes something that didn't exist before and isn't obvious. OTOH an artisan is someone who reproduces existing objects, or new objects that are obvious and don't need much originality. Most animators (and applied artists) are both artist and artisan. Good writers are also both. They both think original things and use the thoughts of others.

my 2 cents.

[QUOTE=phacker]Depends on your definition of animator. Some professional animators simply move other people's creations around following direction.

Hi Phacker,

So what's your definition of animator? Are you implying that people who " simply move other people's creations around following direction." are not animators? If so, why did you call them (professional)animators in the same sentence?

A lot of the time professional animator HAVE to move other people's creations around (The correct term for me is animating, not moving things around.). For example, someone's character design, scripts, storyboards.. etc. We have to follow direction from directors and supervisors too and there's nothing wrong with that. Live action actors do the same thing . You can still be creative within the structure of the production. Most professional animators have made their own films or created their own characters anyway.

And how did you come up with your opinion about professional animators in the first place? Is that your own observation? Or are you just guessing?

-Paul

What's the difference? I guess its all really just semantics and mediums.

An animator is an artist, and so is a writer--all three DEPICT things, but the means by which they depict things can be different.
Seperating animator from artist is splitting a finer hair than calling a writer an artist--its still applies to all, but the there's less traditional distinction with the former.
IMO, the degree of seperation here is very small.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

What's so different between an animator, an artist and a writer? (Excluding how they do it) I see like an animator expresses one's creativity, imagination, knowledge, passion, feelings and emotions into his own hard work. But hey, isn't that the same with an artist? He draws a static picture for all to comprehend but again everything seems to be inside. The same thing seems to go with a writer in expressing everything in beautiful words.

So tell me, what's the difference between them? (Again, besides how they do it) Are they all more closer than expected?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. Just about any profession allows for "creativity, imagination, knowledge, passion, feelings and emotions." It's up to the individual how involved he wants to get. You can also be a hack writer or illustrator who puts almost no creativity into his work.

Artists is a generic term for anyone who creates art, painters, sculptures, musicians, etc. Writers are people who, well write things, be it fiction, non-fiction, editorials, etc. An animator is a more specific type of artist, and is generally a character animator. There are different types of animators also, character animators, effects animators, motion graphic animators. There is also the medium that the animator works in, traditional, 3D, stop motion, paint on glass, and so on.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."