Search form

Ringling Portfolio

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ringling Portfolio

Hi, I want to go to ringling and the deadline for my application is january 15th I think. So I basically have 2 months. Wondering how good you have to be to get into the computer animation program? I will post a drawing and you guys can tell me if it is good enough to put in or not because I have no idea. No real formal art training but I do art in my free time and I enjoy it :) If there was anyone who got into ringling posting your work would be a great help for me!

I've seen talented work get accepted there and work with...shall we say, room to grow get in.

The biggest thing, above actual skill, is effort; my advice to you is to make sure what you submit is a finished piece, fully resolved -- that would include backgrounds in the case of your example picture.

From personal experience too, if you haven't gotten transcripts over yet do it ASAP. I had issues that went as far as having to reorder from several schools several times, and in the end one when it finally did send got in after the "all in by" deadline. Worked out for me based on where I'm at now, but if that's the school for you, make sure you're on top of things, and that the people you're counting on are just as on top.

Hey Atarax!

I'm trying for Ringling this year as well. I've started a new thread in the Educator's Forum asking about other applicant's experiences.

From talking to admissions councilors and a current student from Ringling, I think the most important thing in your portfolio should be a lot of observational life drawing. Your life drawing should demonstrate your understanding of the movement of the figure (or animal). This could be done through doing quick poses and gesture drawings. Just get the line of action and the essence of the character down. Easier said than done, I'm still struggling.

That said, they also want to see artistic/creative potential. So definitely submit finished pieces as well.

Ringling will have a portfolio review in my area this Sunday, so I'll check back after I get some feedback on my own portfolio.

Hope this helps!

I got some helpful feedback from portfolio day with Ringling today.

I brought a lot of quick figure work, some animal gestures, and a few pieces with color. Most of what I showed is observational except for a few character designs & paintings. After looking through my stuff the advisor said that she liked the variety she saw and that I had a competitive portfolio (that's a good thing right?). She especially liked the movement in the gestures and a few of my colored/non-observational pieces. For suggestions she said I should do a few longer drawings and be selective with my work--only send in the best. I asked her if I should submit a few animations. Her response is to be careful with that. She said to think of animations in the same way as 2d work, only send the best. They get tired of looking at bad animations.

Here's some other facts about Ringling:
1. About 300 people apply to the CA (and game design) each year. They accept about 95 people for both of the programs.

2. CA and game design take the same classes for the first two years and then branch out during their jr. year.

3. For portfolio, 10 is the minimum. There's no max but only send in the best of your work.

That's all I can think of right now...

Ah yah, I can back the "only the best" thing. I brought over 30 things in my canvas portfolio; I figured since it was an informal review it wouldn't matter and perhaps I'd get a feel for their tastes, and that helped me decide what to pack in for the actual submission.