Search form

Yet Another Copyright Question...

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Yet Another Copyright Question...

I've been reading through a bunch of old threads regarding copyrighting and I'm not getting the answers I need. Here's my deal. I just created an online animated series that I plan to launch soon, but first I want to get everything copyrighted. But when I went to the copyright.gov website it says that the work itself will be covered, but the characters, stories, etc. will NOT be and that the protection will not protect me from others using my characters. Any suggestions on what to do? I want the whole work protected. Is everyone just using the Form PA and throwing caution to the wind? Thanks!

They are right to some degree. The finer details of your character, and their design are copyrighted, but general details are not. For example: an alien named Ka-el, known as Superman, from the dieing world of Krypton who came to earth and has super powers but lives his life as his alter ego, Clark Kent, is copyrighted. But: an alien from a dieing world who came to earth and has super powers but lives his life as his alter ego, is not copyrighted.

I hope that clears it up and not makes you even more confused. :D

And welcome to the AWN Forums babyfett.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Well, if you want to throw caution to the wind and do it yourself, by all means---knock yourself out.
If you want to properly protect your work, don't trust the various opinions and advice from people posting on a internet forum, go spend the money and get a lawyer. Sit down with them and go over trademarks, copyrights and how to protect your work. Ask them the hard questions, lawyers know the answers--you can trust that they will do their research--you cannot trust the info you get here.
If your work is important enough to you to take steps to protect it, then it will be money well spent.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)