Search form

Back from my travels with some AVI Questions

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Back from my travels with some AVI Questions

HELLO.

Yes, I am actually back in the US of A. Our travels took us to Laguna Beach, San Jose, San Francisco, Beijing, Zhangjiskoh back to Beijing to San Francisco to Eugene to Spokane to Billings, Rapid City (Mount Rushmore) to Rochester, Il and back to wonderful, old, historic and charming Savannah (the trip took just over 2 months in total).

Then we had two days to prepare for an art festival and set-up day and the then the festival itself. (where I actually won a prize- and I had no idea it was juried- very cool).

Email and internet access was very spotty in the NW and regions beyond.

I was just scanning some work tonight - I am still unpacking!

In an effort, to finish my site with new lesson and samples of work- I was wondering if anyone had any tips for compressing AVI's and such so I can have examples of my animation on my site...

Thanks.

Larry L.'s picture
Larry web site http://tooninst[URL=http://tooninstitute.awn.com]itute.awn.com [/URL]blog: [U]http://www.awm.com/blogs/always-animated [/U] email: larry.lauria@gmail.com

You want to compress AVI and save target as AVI only? For this you can use VirtualDubMod. But ofcourse you will need avi encoder.

or if you have options for other formats as well, .flv video might be a good choice.

I love Sorenson Squeeze. It lets you drag and drop your video in and then you drag and drop set presets on to it and then you can also fiddle with the settings if wish. It outputs avis and quicktimes among others. Great stuff.

Visit my website:

Claire O'Brien.com

Ever since I had to use it for school I've become huge fan of H.264. I think it's just before the time where it's widespread enough to make your site universal, but I just compressed a 168mb file down to 600k for someone a few weeks back and there was no visual quality difference. Plus you can reencode for added slimming. Oh, and the people viewing will be able to frame through the animation in a very straightforward manner.

Thanks - What about uploading avi's to Blogs

Thanks so much.!!!

I will have to investigate these suggestions!

What about uploading AVI's or quicktime movies to Blogs? Any ideas there?.

Thanks.

About uploading to blogs, you could use YouTube. It's pretty great in that you can upload pretty much any format, it reads on any computer without people having to worry about codecs, and it's very easy to embed into your blogs.

In the event you don't go with that, most blogs allow for HTML and there's actually a tag called , the usage of which is simple and easily referenced, that can be used for almost all major video types and sometimes (depending on the browser) even has specific attributes for them.

Hi Larry,

As you have your own web space you could use it to host your movies and then embed them in your blog using the following code (this is for Quicktime):

your web address/folder/name of video.mov" type="video/quicktime" height="?" width="?" controller="true" loop="false" autostart="false">

You fill in the bits that I have underlined. If you want your movie to loop and start automatically, change their values to true. The same applies if you don't want the controler visible, change it to false.

I prefer to use quicktime as you can scrub through that animation goodness, unlike avis. :)

Hope this helps a bit.

Claire.

Visit my website:

Claire O'Brien.com

You were in Laguna Beach, huh? What do you think of the Laguna College of Art and Design? Also, do you still teach at SCAD? I'm debating between the two schools right now, looking for one that has a strong character animation program.

You had a web developer create your site, right? Hand off the task to him/her; the designer probably already has a technique they prefer, and that's what you pay them for.

Actually...

You were in Laguna Beach, huh? What do you think of the Laguna College of Art and Design? Also, do you still teach at SCAD? I'm debating between the two schools right now, looking for one that has a strong character animation program.

Hey (a typical Georgia greeting),

We still live out on Wilmington Island in the Savannah area..and at the moment, I have no plans to teach at SCAD...too much to do and too many goals I have to accomplish.

I think if I taught there again it would be in Foundations, Fine Art or Sequebtial Art.

My animation teaching will be online.

I would say the Laguna program would have a very strong character animation component...though I did hear a rumor that SCAD might develop a relationship with the Laguna School...so your question may be mute...

Thanks.