Search form

Kappa Mikey

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kappa Mikey

I’m not a very confrontational person; I don’t like to rant at length about stuff I find objectionable. (Admittedly, that also has to do with me being a bit of a lazy person.) However, what recently disgusted me is Nickelodeon’s Kappa Mikey and I’ve heard and read so few real “opinions” on it that I’m poked enough to just throw the question out there: what in blazes is the deal with that show?
I’m not a fan of anime and no outspoken manga aficionado. I don’t like the plastic-y, formulaic design and super-limited animation style of the majority of anime thrown onto the American and European market to feed the fad-hungry masses. I also get it’s Kappa Mikey’s declared aim to lampoon all that, meaning the general idea should appeal to me. However, the show’s concept and humour seriously make me assume the creators and writers have to look up “satire” on Wikipedia every morning before sitting down to work.
The show. I get the premise is that a down-on-his-luck teenage actor wins a main role in a Japanese action show of some sort and henceforth has to struggle with cultural barriers. Uh-huh. The kid, an American, is drawn in “classical” US animation style whereas the “Japanese” characters are your stereotypical anime characters. Oh. The. Hilarity. As I see it, even this aspect could’ve been saved if the artwork had been executed in a way not making me want to gouge out my own eyes, but nooo.
Which leads us to the art and animation and all I can say is I think the “art”work is, for want of a more sophisticated word – butt-ugly; the bad kind of butt-ugly, not the good kind as in, “Hey, that butt-ugly close-up of Ren’s face is actually a fine piece of work!” The animation, well seriously, if I wanted to turn even the most budget-conscious miser of a producer from using Flash in an animated show, I’d show them a Kappa Mikey episode.
The stories – gee, I must admit I can’t really say a lot about them. It’s quite enough for me getting tortured by those badly drawn and designed characters which are meant to oh-so wittily spoof magical girls, Pokémon (-they have a way better Pikachu spoof on Drawn Together-) and Dragon Ball characters. The sad truth is that the bad artwork in combination with seriously lame gags create some sort of super-dense repellent field in which the human mind cannot exits safely for longer than four minutes. In short, I usually switch channels before I can make heads and feet of what is supposed to be the narrative structure.
Sorry if anybody here worked on it, but is all of that intentional? Am I not sophisticated enough to get the satire in this? (C’mon, I read Pratchett and Kishon so I feel confident saying I’ve got at least an inkling of what satire with style looks like.) What did they do to sell Kappa Mikey, open the door to a pitch room, scream, “anime parody” and have production money thrown at them?
I don’t get this. Please enlighten me.

I have wondered about this thing too. I am getting into a series then BAM, the show is off the air. This is not the only parody, have you ever seen "Duel Masters"?

As for as animation goes, I am a fan of being entertained so what every style makes this happen is good to me.

The one thing I keep seeing, in articles, is the word franchise when it comes to any show being produced.

Keep in mind that anytime you see a cartoon that you "don't get", that "sucks", or is just plain bad--it probably means it was never aimed at you.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

That's certainly true to an extend, but it also gets over-used as an excuse. We all judge what we see. If I shot all criticism I receive down with a simple, "It's not for you anyway" it wouldn't get me very far.
I guess what sort of bothers me is that I see the potential for much better comedy in a premise like Kappa Mikey's. Even some anime make better fun of anime than that show.