Search form

show us your work space

54 posts / 0 new
Last post
show us your work space

this is a thread for posting photos of your work area. i always found it interesting to see how other people organize themselves.

well i guess i'll start it off:

my desk is always covered in crud:dvds, sketches, food plates, cd's.
i should've opened flash or something to cover my naughty desktop.:o

acetate assassin's picture
http://ben-reynolds.com Animation and Design

http://ben-reynolds.com
Animation and Design

We did this along time ago and it was fun. I'd post right now, but I can't find my original pictures, the battery in my camera is dead and my work area needs cleaning big time.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

I am a smoker so be prepared to see an ashtray, when I get my camera back up and running.

my mess

I like to collect computers... I think I have 4 on the go right now. All old and tired but still better than what is on the shuttle! Gandalf keeps me in line.

The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself. My Blog: Strange Thoughts

Your area looks a lot like mine. I have two old macs in my computer room, along with my main PC, but I had to disconnect them lately during a power outage. I'll probably hook them up again when I am sure my power is maintained. California is going through some wierd power crap at the moment.

Actually your area is a lot cleaner than mine.

Here's my main workspace. I have another computer desk in the other corner of the office that holds my old machine. Used to be the internet machine, but with wireless installed, it's days are numbered.

Items to note:
Ergonomic keyboard and mouse, arm brace on laptop keyboard (keep those working ergonomics good - tendinitis is troublesome and tenacious)

Swiffer duster hanging on right side of the desk - we live in one of the dustiest areas I've ever seen.

Mac and PC peacefully cohabitating in the same work area. Yep, we're a multicultural household :)

Funny; it looks more cluttered in the pic than it does in real life...

Attachment 

Where you have a collection of animation graphics on your wall, I collected a bunch of pictures of waterfalls. just because my room is really small and dark and it makes me feel a little bit like I am outside.

Workspace:

And yes that is a bottle of aspirin, a beer and a pack of cigarettes, that's what keeps me going. It's a mess I know that.

And the toilet paper, is because I've had a sinus infection last few days. Can't afford to buy tissues too.

And the toilet paper, is because I've had a sinus infection last few days. Can't afford to buy tissues too.

I did that too untill I had my operation last year. :D

Say Phacker, how come you are not using the built in coaster on your computer for your drink. :p

I did that too untill I had my operation last year. :D

Say Phacker, how come you are not using the built in coaster on your computer for your drink. :p

Somebody pulled that one on me when I got my first modern computer with a cd drive. That's all my computer needs beer on the motherboard! I've lost one keyboard to it.

Thanks for the photos DSB, I'll print them out and tack them up.

And yes that is a bottle of aspirin, a beer and a pack of cigarettes, that's what keeps me going. It's a mess I know that.

YES! Beer, cigarettes, and aspirin. You are a true animator in the classic golden age sense! :) I keep a Zippo lighter on my desk, but it has no fuel in it. It's just for fiddling with during thinking time.

Phack, here are a couple more moving water shots for your collection. I took them on a trip to Alaska earlier this summer. The waterfall is outside of Juneau, and the river is a fish ladder in Sitka, on the grounds of the Tongass national park.

I try to do of what you post guys. I appreciate it! cool!

Thank you!

Well, I finally got around to taking a couple pictures of my Animation Command Center..
Check it out.

Nice view outside your window. Must be a pleasure to work there.

It's a bit dingy out today but yep, it's nice to have a bit of nature out the window. Not bad for 5 minutes from the center of a capital city eh.

nice space Doubt. I love the storyboard wall. I wish I had room for that, I just have to make do with thumbnails in my sketch book.

Mahalo,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Thanks, it's nice being able to see the whole deal in one shot. I'm glad my father in law is a cabinetmaker, I wouldn't even want to know how much the corkboard would normally cost. I wouldn't mind having your cinteq though. Maybe next year I can grab one.

I wouldn't mind having your cinteq though. Maybe next year I can grab one.

It's not a Cinteq, it's a Tablet PC. It's great cause I can take it and work anywhere and not have to plug it into a desktop computer.

Aloha,
the Ape

A yeah, hence the keyboard. Definately a handy device.

Here's Mine

Love seeing where others sit and work. Yoda is the master!

Hehe, I need to organize some onlookers!

Your area was amongst the tidiest here doubt. Even though this was a gray day, your view is one of the best I've seen.

My Workstation

My home office/studio. This is where I spend almost 90% of my waking hours. I still keep my electric sharpener around even though I don't do any traditional animation anymore. It looks kinda neat and tidy right now, but offscreen is where all the clutter is :) .

Blog

haha! is that a 40 of steel reserve i see, sajdera!?

i have that same lightbox in almost the exact same possition in my room.

http://ben-reynolds.com
Animation and Design

My mess of a basement office.

Attachment 

Hey Grumble boy is that an Emac over there to the right?

No, that's the monitor from my Sawtooth G4. It still runs great, but I'm about to pass it on to a friend of mine. I'm excited to have some more desk space to clutter.

I take it your are a guitar player. You record and use your own music?

Yeah--I record plenty of music. My problem is getting any actual animation done to go with it.

What sort of music do you make?

I guess it would just be labelled rock/pop. I don't know.

I had someone ask about the animation desk I posted in another post. That's not my desk, sorry about the confusion. I was going to post these before, but got busy with work and forgot, so here they are. My animation desk, and my computer cave.

Aloha,
the Ape

I love the disc...

I love the printer on top of the speaker...

I suppose it's a hammerhead...

Great Thread!!!!!

Im actually moving to the basement, and making my own computer desk and drafting table. I will post pics when i finish it.

I love the printer on top of the speaker...

It was too heavy to suspend from the desk lamp.

It was too heavy to suspend from the desk lamp.

...LOL!!!!

Do those drawers have to be open to get your disk up?

Is that a violin?

Do those drawers have to be open to get your disk up?

Nope, just showing it in it's transformed mode. There is also another cork board that pops up on the right side, but I didn't up it up since the disk would block it. The top center of the desk folds up and way, and the disk is under than and folds up and towards me and is fully adjustable. It's nice and functional, you can use it as a regular desk or as an animation desk. I bought if from a Disney animator who had it custom made for him.

No, it's an Ukulele that is sadly covered in dust.

Aloha,
the Ape

Ukelele, that's a whole new side to you Ape. Time to dust it off and play a little something for us here.

I am bring this thread back because I am shopping for a desk. So those of you who have a computer desk, is your brand one I should avoid?

I just bought the biggest old second hand desk I could find.

I love Ikea's "As-is" section. That's where I got my L shaped computer desk from. I also just cut down another one so now I have an L shapeded monitor stand. Makes it look so much cleaner than that old ghetto stand I had in the first pics.

Aloha,
the Ape

I love Ikea's "As-is" section. That's where I got my L shaped computer desk from. I also just cut down another one so now I have an L shapeded monitor stand. Makes it look so much cleaner than that old ghetto stand I had in the first pics.

Aloha,
the Ape

There is an Ikea store here and their desks look find but I am leaning to the lighter computers desks at the office stores. With the Ikea I would not have to worry about the desk shifting but I am hoping that someone with those lighter computer desk came tell me that they are sturdy too.

Now that you have two desks and a couple of books shelves in that tiny room, where are you going to sit? :)

If you have a little time, you could build it...

This is what I came up after 2 failed attempts, some cheap wood, an old saw, and a few nails. I use it all the time, just not for drawing (only cause there's no air conditioning in that place). I'm not a builder, but maybe after a 4th time and some real tools, and little help, I could've built a really nice table.

Attachment 

What I have now is a PVC table and a small metal shelf next to it. The price for this is more that the computer desks at the office supply stores. I am thinking that if I tried to build something, the price could be triple and it would fall apart.

You must like working with your hands, you desk look ok. Very basic design.
Oh, look into portable air conditioning.

Pages