Search form

Steady Work vs. Exciting Projects?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Steady Work vs. Exciting Projects?

Oh no! Not another "which is more important" thread!!

Yes, but this time it's what's more important to YOU, personally, right now. If you had to pick one above the other, what would it be? Bear in mind, "steady" and "exciting" are subjective - "steady" might be doing the same thing you've been doing forever, or perhaps less then challenging work but it keeps you busy and pays the bills. Exciting might mean big budget OR it might mean that personal project you've put off for years that you're now going to invest time and money to bring it to life.

Perhaps another way of looking at this is high risk (exciting) vs. low risk (steady)?

So, when looking for a job, are you looking at the project itself (interesting, exciting, a challenge) or are you just glad to work as an animator regardless of subject matter or challenge?

(edited for clarification)

I would work in a low risk (steady) job, to support my high risk (exciting) personal project, so that when that becomes a hit, I can work in a not so high risk exciting steady job.=)

This thread needs a new subject header. "Eating a good meal every day or Living on macaroni and cheese"

This thread needs a new subject header. "Eating a good meal every day or Living on macaroni and cheese"

I don't know... having a steady job could mean more marcaroni and cheese when you work late all the time.

-Paul

I don't know... having a steady job could mean more marcaroni and cheese when you work late all the time.

-Paul

My waistline seconds that!

the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

[QUOTE=Animated Ape]My waistline seconds that!

Expanding waistline- the sign of a hard working animator!

All that late nights. macaroni and cheese!

-Paul

I personally like mac and cheese, always have a salad with it though too. But there can be other forces in play. Are you responsible for others: spouse/children? If that's the case your choice is probably clear. If you are responsible only for yourself go with your bliss.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

All that late nights. macaroni and cheese!

-Paul

Mmmmmmmmmm mac and cheese with little cubes of spam on top. Yummy!!! Suddenly my apple doesn't look so good. :(

Aloha,
the Ape

Personally, I try to find jobs that are long term that I also find interesting. If I like something about the project, I'll be fine putting in the long hours when needed, and it'll push me to do better work. Hell, I'd rather work for a year in a non-animation job that I enjoy doing rather than animating for a year on a project I can't stand. But that's just me. It also depends on how established you are. If you're just starting out, you might not be able to afford to be picky, vs. being a veteran where you can pick and choose what projects to work on.

Aloha,
the Ape

Expanding waistline- the sign of a hard working animator!

I'm taking a print of this post with me to my annual physical. I must have been working hard the last year or so... :D

Well, though it might brand me a eternally-damned hack, I'll come out and say it anyway:
The "better" jobs I've found over the past 10 or so years have been those lame little pre-school-aimed cartoons shows that pay about 1/3 less but easily have 1/2 the stress of other cartooning jobs.
The material is vapid beyond belief, as its aimed at toddlers, but its usually so easy to do ( all things considered) that I can do more work in less time and have more time for my family and hobby pursuits. Working on the latest "hot" thing has usually meant its someones baby and the fussy-factor is very much higher.
The thing about the pre-school material is that its so lame that quite a few talented folks overlook it thinking that the "sexier" material is where its at.

I'd rather keep a paycheque coming in than work on prestige, because prestige usually means a lot of aggravation.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)