Search form

employment?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
employment?

from what I've been reading on these boards long term employment positions in animation are rare. So I was wondering, how often are you guys moving around? How does this work with families and children? Thanks.

Hey Erik,

It varies depending on what you really want to do. If you have your heart set on working in film or TV, you'll probably have to hustle fairly frequently. Those jobs generally tend to last the length of the production, then go away. Jobs in games can be longer-lasting, but there are also the length-of-production type there as well.

Casting a broader net can result in jobs that last quite a while, provided you're not determined to see your name on either the large or small screen. Corporate communication, web development, etc can provide steadier employment, but aren't as "sexy".

It boils down to what your goals are. Do you want a long list of major film credits, or are you just interested in doing what you love and getting paid for it? The two aren't mutually exclusive, but the second offers a broader path to steadier employment.

etc can provide steadier employment, but aren't as "sexy".

Do you want a long list of major film credits, or are you just interested in doing what you love and getting paid for it? The two aren't mutually exclusive, but the second offers a broader path to steadier employment.

There are people that get into animation for fame and attention? That's like getting into physics for the women. It blows my mind that someone could get anything quality accomplished if they didn't care (Which I realize you covered)...just kind of shocked. I think film and I think acting, not, "Hey, my name's in a movie." The attraction to film (hopefully?) has a lot more to do with the acting opportunities involved, the whole 'supreme art form' shpiel...

That was off the original question, though, so don't mind me =)

There are people that get into animation for fame and attention? That's like getting into physics for the women.
The attraction to film (hopefully?) has a lot more to do with the acting opportunities involved, the whole 'supreme art form' shpiel...

What I was really getting at was that there are some animation artists that want to work on, say, films - and only films. Or TV, and only TV. They are very specific about where they want to apply their skills. There are others who are more interested in doing what they love for a living, and the type of project to which their skills are applied matters less.

Film may offer more acting opportunites, but that can come with more specific direction, especially early in one's career. The way a particular performance is delivered may or may not be completely within the animator's control. This can come as a surprise to new animators on their first gig - having had control over their work throughout school, they are surprised to find someone else giving specific direction on how the character should behave in "their" shot.

As almost all of the freelance animation/storyboarding jobs I've had were series-based, they lasted a year or less. Only teaching animation got me a job that lasted longer than a year.
Freelance work is seasonal by nature because you are not an employee in most circumstances-once that project ends, so does your employment.
I've been pretty fortunate in that almost all of my freelancing came out of Vancouver BC, with some work from LA and New York.
I know of colleagues that have been very transient in their careers--moving around all over the place pursuing many different jobs, but that kind of thing wasn't for me.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

thanks DSB, personally, I would love to work on films. I am concerened as to how moving around would affect my family, I guess I am wondering are the moves long distance moves normally, or could one live in a centralized location and just bounce from studio to studio? I mean, I understand it all depends on where you live in the first place. thanks.

I am concerened as to how moving around would affect my family, I guess I am wondering are the moves long distance moves normally, or could one live in a centralized location and just bounce from studio to studio? I mean, I understand it all depends on where you live in the first place. thanks.

Well, given your location, I'd imagine you'll need to make a long-distance move at least once in your career. The other side of the coin is that if you land in a place with lots of studios fairly close together (like L.A., N.Y., or S.F.), you're also moving to an area with a lot of animation artists already in it, and all competing for the jobs in the area.

Moving definitely affects the fam; how much depends on your individual family dynamic. Ultimately, no one can decide whether it's harmful or not to your family except you.

DSB- not to be contrary to what you are saying about the moving aspect of things, because what you said made a whole lot of sense, and I appreciate the advice. But as a side note, Wisconsin actually has a few Gaming studios, (Raven and Human Head). Also, Tom Hignite's Miracle Studios, the guy who hired a handfull of ex-Floridian Disney animators in hopes of producing a 2D feature film, is located in Wisconsin. Yeah I know, only 3 studios (that I'm aware of at least) compared to... well I don't know how many more (a lot more) elsewhere.

Ken- thanks for the insight, it's comforting to know that depending on where a person lives it is possible to be fairly stationary and still be employed.

I've lived in the same place for 3 years, with no intention of moving as long as my situation remains constant.

Just the way I like it!