Search form

Advice on setting up a 2d animation institute

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Advice on setting up a 2d animation institute

hi to you all out there,

I have no experience in 2d or 3d animation, but I have finance to start a training institute for animation. Can anybody tell me how should I start?
I need to know total area of space needed, curriculum, hardware, software , teachers..etc.
One year certificate programme is what I have in mind plus short courses and workshops.

Helpers will be candidates for managing such department .

I hope to hear from the pros with education or production background.

Thank you all in advance.

Hate to sound gruff, but the place to start is to gain experience with animation. As a director, you'll be responsible for establishing industry contacts and setting priorities for what will make your students survive on the market. Without knowledge of the processes you'll be at a disadvantage whensetting priorities and unable to appraise staff.
You need someone who can walk you into the business, giveing you an idea of what the lifestyle of an animation artist is, what various team abilities are necessary to live it, and what various niches might be avaiable to students in the future.

David

Hate to sound gruff, but the place to start is to gain experience with animation. As a director, you'll be responsible for establishing industry contacts and setting priorities for what will make your students survive on the market. Without knowledge of the processes you'll be at a disadvantage whensetting priorities and unable to appraise staff.
You need someone who can walk you into the business, giveing you an idea of what the lifestyle of an animation artist is, what various team abilities are necessary to live it, and what various niches might be avaiable to students in the future.

David

Thank you David.

I failed to mention that my experience is in film and tv productions. Mainly documentaries and tv drama series. That's why I'm trusted by friends and relatives to go for the institute idea with their money.
I'm not young, neither am too old, but trying to learn animation at my age would be useless.

You said "You need someone who can walk you into the business, giveing you an idea of what the lifestyle of an animation artist is, what various team abilities are necessary to live it, and what various niches might be avaiable to students in the future."

And I say maybe that 'SOMEONE' would be interested in taking the responsibility of getting this venture off the ground and moving, or at least point his/her finger towards the right path for me to take, while bearing in mind that I don't want to be an animator.

Well that sounds much better! btw, I didn't mean to imply that you should learn Maya or draw up a short film - but learn the animation processes.

Do you know producing houses? I would go to the houses producing in your area and ask to informally interview the following persons with the goal of learning what requirements they see for recruitment: production manager, animation supervisor, cg supervisor, art director and lead technical director. (If you don't know what these positions do in detail, that is.)
If your background is in series and documentaries, you may want to begin with related animation aspects - just don't try to do cover all bases from the get-go. Many make this mistake, not understanding the nature of the various skilsets involved. Character animation takes many years to learn, motion design can go faster, technical direction might be a venue if you have a student base that you know has very little artistic training or background, but good maths or programming skills. Expand after establishing a reputation for quality. Force contacts to international top-players. Etc.
If you'd like more feedback from me, feel free to mail. david at brainpets dot com

Well that sounds much better! btw, I didn't mean to imply that you should learn Maya or draw up a short film - but learn the animation processes.

Do you know producing houses? I would go to the houses producing in your area and ask to informally interview the following persons with the goal of learning what requirements they see for recruitment: production manager, animation supervisor, cg supervisor, art director and lead technical director. (If you don't know what these positions do in detail, that is.)
If your background is in series and documentaries, you may want to begin with related animation aspects - just don't try to do cover all bases from the get-go. Many make this mistake, not understanding the nature of the various skilsets involved. Character animation takes many years to learn, motion design can go faster, technical direction might be a venue if you have a student base that you know has very little artistic training or background, but good maths or programming skills. Expand after establishing a reputation for quality. Force contacts to international top-players. Etc.
If you'd like more feedback from me, feel free to mail. david at brainpets dot com

In the area of the world I'm from, there is no animation industry, but there are quite a lot of small production houses involved in small projects, and
there is a growing need for animation in tv commercials, tv short public messages, children programs and architectural walk thrus.
According to the feasibility study that was done for us, by a leading financial consultant house, our venture seem to have a great potential for success.
The study comprised a good industry analysis, market assessment and financial analysis, but lacked nuts and bolts of the technical stuff.
Infrastructure of the intended instiute is what we were after.
Lately, a couple of Indian based animation schools showed interest in helping.
I originally wanted to reach some sort of affiliation with any good western animation school but nothing happened yet.
Your feedback David, and also others, will be highly appreciated.
I visited your site and I must say, your work is grrrreat.

Thanks. I have a blog that's not so terribly out-of-date: http://www.the-book-of-worms.de/blog/
I'm currently freelance creative consultant at the Filmakademie in Badem-Wuertemburg, and have taught a wide range of skills, such as organic modeling in 3D, macquette sculpting and composition. Most schools are beurocratic at best and paranoid at worst. The Filmakademie (or at least the Animation Institute) is a pleasant exception. We also organize the fmx in Stuttgart (www.fmx.de) which may be of particular interest to you. Nanyang University - who spoke there - was faced with a similar problem, which they solved by winning Isaac Kerlow as director. Definitely cutting edge, and a tribute to what Asia will be doing once his curriculum fleshes out.
I wish you the best in finding such a lead for your institution. Where are you located, btw?

what kind of person do you need and where?

Ya the important things is where are you located?

And do you want a full time animator to take charge, or are you looking for an animation business person to partner you?

http://www.3danimationtrainingstudio.com I still have not told my story! - Vineet Raj Kapoor