Search form

A Case Study!

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
A Case Study!

Hi everyone. I found this forum through google and what I have read so far has made me realize how reality differs so much from speculations about this whole CG Industry or “wonderland” as few outsiders call it. Since I haven’t talked to anyone ever (from this industry) regarding my issue, so I’m completely relying on the opinions of educators and professionals present here.

Let me first introduce myself. I am based in Lahore, Pakistan and completed my degree in software engineering in 2004. During my first year when I started my interaction with computers, I realized that I am good at presenting ideas (visually) then my peers. Since the degree was mostly programming concentrated, it didn’t give me an edge over the others. But, at the end of 4 years, nearly everyone told me that you were a potential graphic designer and you wasted your 4 years. At that time, I had worked in almost all of the 2d/3d graphic suites available and had become very sound at web development (FrontEnd designing/BackEnd). So, from winning student multimedia competitions, encouragement from profs., family and friends, I accepted that I was aesthetically creative at presenting ideas (not stories) and good at graphic designing (only digitally). It’s interesting to note, I was among the top 10 people of my batch academically when I graduated. This was never due to my love for programming but for my hard work.
Later on, when I graduated (even though I could easily get some programming job), for the first time I felt alienated. I didn’t have any arts background, neither the urge to work in software development (because of my self belief that I’m good at graphics). So I applied as a graphic designer in a UK based software company to know if I can rely on just graphic applications for my job. And this is what I got from my CEO at the end of a year.

“Previous to being CEO of -, I spent 25 years working in and running an Advertising Agency in the United Kingdom. It is for this reason that I feel qualified to give this outstanding reference to -, who has worked in my company now for 1 year.

Real Graphic Designers cannot be trained, they simply have a gift which can be improved and polished. Ravi is just one of those boys. When he designs something, the balance of the elements is just right. When you give him a brief, he responds with just the right tone of voice and message. And even when he makes a mistake, it’s a subtle one.

For a man of his years and experience, Ravi has already demonstrated that he has the potential to be great. It is for this reason that I am writing this reference, even though I understand it will be instrumental in us losing a precious resource. It is important that he continues his education to reach his full potential.

In terms of his work output, Ravi has been prolific. He has designed user interfaces for our international software; he has designed marketing literature which is being used by NEC and Alcatel in the UK. He hasn’t ever produced one piece of bad work.

In terms of general attitude, he is punctual, hardworking and honest and I know that whatever courses he decides to follow in this chosen field, he will excel.”

In this 1.5 yrs time, I switched 3 jobs and got almost the same responses from my higher ups. Meanwhile, I also decided to try my luck at 3d Animation and did a 6 month short course from a local arts college. I enjoyed the experience and finally applied to MFA in Animation at USC-CNTV and SCAD. After being waitlisted for 5 months at USC, I was rejected (doesn’t matter since Steven Spielberg was rejected 3 times :D . So I settled in for SCAD (beginning this Fall).

Doing all this was not easy for me. No matter what I do, I always put my100% efforts in it. But after all this hard work, I expect (like everyone) to get something out in return too.
But now I feel I didn’t make the right decision. No matter how good I’m creatively and digitally, I don’t want to see myself as an artist because I really don’t feel comfortable drawing or writing storyboards. I have realized that I don’t want to become an artist but someone who love CG, want to be a part of it by playing a vital role in shaping industry in the coming years. :rolleyes: Jobs that involves programming/animation/modeling/virtual reality etc and which say in a 10 years time lead to stable career in management related post (in the same industry). But with my current conditions clashing with the demand of the industry, I feel myself standing there once again. Stuck between 2 careers and a product of arts/science rivalry? :confused:

I would really appreciate if anyone can comment (through my credentials and ambitions) if I have taken the right step by applying for 3d animation prog at SCAD. I am 23 now and I can manage to switch if this is not right for me. Thanks for taking out your time to read all.

Hi 3dGC, and welcome to the AWN Forums.

The only one who can decide this for you is you. You have to look inside and ask your self if this is what you really want to do for the rest of your life.

You were a good artist among your programing classmates, and got good reviews from your emploiers. But now you're going to art school where everyone there is and artist. Most likely you won't be the best one there. Then again maybe you will be. You won't know untill you try. This might be why you are second guessing this now. It might just be a case of cold feet. Know one knows but you.

These are just things based on the impressions I got from your post. If you decide to stick with it and go the animation route, good luck. If not, well, good luck as well.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Some people use school as a means to an end - you have a goal in mind and school is necesssary to reach that goal. Other times, school is a place to explore and experiment and will lead you to places you may not have considered.

Perhaps you like things planned out and are uncomfortable not knowing exactly where you're going. Perhaps it's a good thing to get out of your "comfort zone" and explore the unknown. Take a semester or two to and gain a little more insight into the industry.

Just think strengths and weaknesses and no one is going to be good/great at everything. You sound like you'll be successful at whatever you turn your hand to. Good luck.

Thanks

Thanks Animated Ape and b’ini. You have actually expressed the same exact concerns I had in my mind. Anyhow, I’m atleast taking the first year for MFA in 3d Animation to see if I click and if it’s something that can help me reach where I want.

Since there are people from the industry present here, Other than plainly programming jobs, can somebody help me out with these ‘techo-art’ jobs people often talk about? I perceive these techno-art jobs as those which require know-how of programming languages, web development, software packages for developing interface diagrams, flowcharts (basically project management) AND good aesthetics/know how of 3 dimensional objects. The only title that comes into my mind is the job for ‘Game Designer’. Are there any other jobs in Gaming, Cinema, 3d Art Companies, and Visual Effect Industry with similar skill sets?

Also is it possible to ultimately reach project management post by starting as game designer/3d animator? I don’t know if I have the wrong impression but I think people from programming/technical sides are more likely offered these managerial jobs? I know I may be wrong. Thanks for all the help.

Also is it possible to ultimately reach project management post by starting as game designer/3d animator? I don’t know if I have the wrong impression but I think people from programming/technical sides are more likely offered these managerial jobs? I know I may be wrong. Thanks for all the help.

There are always exceptions, but I think more often than not, project managers are people with buisness degrees and are not from the art side. I think if you want to be a project manager, you should apply for a Production Assistant job. Those seem to be the people that end up being project managers.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

There are always exceptions, but I think more often than not, project managers are people with buisness degrees and are not from the art side.

In my experience, project managers are either designers or those suited "idea men" who never know what they're talking about.
Project managers spend most of their time on the phone, emailing clients, or in meetings, unless it's a small studio or small creative division, in which case they sometimes have more creative input.