Search form

Low Man-High Dive (30 sec, 3D,<1MB)

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Low Man-High Dive (30 sec, 3D,<1MB)

http://64.17.142.111/downloads/HiDivve_Final.mov

This was my git 'er done, yer outta time Animation 1 project. It's helpful for me to just get it out there -- I plan to work on my reel the next two semesters and really need to kick it up a notch. I know the areas I'd like to tweak, some jerky spots, maybe shave a few seconds here and there but would like to get some feedback before I start making changes.

Some emotional elements I need to work on - 1. he wants to impress the girls. 2. He's afraid on the diving board 3. He can't turn back because of the girls.

I also want to include a vertigo type shot that shows the ground zooming away.

Any critiques, suggestions welcome. I'm committed to doing a before and after and use this as an exercise for taking direction.

Aside from the technical stuff going on, you need to think about personality and performance. For each shot, find one really strong pose that really defines the moment and build from there.

As a really good a quick exercise, why don't you try doing a this for a frame from each shot and see if the performance reads? If the story is still being delivered, then you're on your way.

Best,
K

That's a great idea and exactly the kind of direction I need.
I can break it down by personality/emotion and action.

1. Self-assured - strut.
2. Eager to impress - climb.
3. What-have-I-gotten-myself-into (at the top)
4. Can't go back.
5. Committed but cautious.
6. Oh Sh!!!!!!!!T
7. (It would be really nice to figure out an ending)
a. the dive works out
b. belly flop
c. dive wildly out of control girls laugh
c. dive wildly out of control girls like him anyway.

As a really good a quick exercise, why don't you try doing a this for a frame from each shot and see if the performance reads? If the story is still being delivered, then you're on your way.

Best,
K

I am not clear on what you are saying here, try doing what "...for a frame" and by only one frame.

>> find one really strong pose

I think this is what Kevan is referring to - find one pose for each shot and make sure the character's personality and motivation is captured.

In a way, that's how I started out the animation, blocking out each movement which I did using stepped tangents, tho' I don't think the poses were ever strong enough.

When I converted the tangents to clamped or spline they went all over the place, so I left some stepped. Like when I had to make sure everything hit its mark -- on the ladder, on the board, it was doing the whole thing over again, only worse.

I found, a little too late, the best way to keep the precision was to add keyframes before and after the stepped tangent to lock in the movement - if that makes sense.

Anyway, I really like the idea of doing it over scene by scene. When I think about doing it all over, I'm a little reluctant. Keeping it small is far more manageable.

ramblin'again

I am not clear on what you are saying here, try doing what "...for a frame" and by only one frame.

You rough out the entire short film with only a single pose per shot.