Search form

Why Is Drawing so IMPORTANT??

164 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ah...hah...

Ah...hah....so far the big company i know is MoonFX so far i've only see make commercials,nothing big.....

Sorry about not adding the Info earlier,I'm only a new member....

Imagination is much more important then knowledge...

Commercials can be big money makers and a way to get into the industry.

Think about it, you are young, the industry is building in your area. You get into it when it's young and you can help define and build it and end up like Frank and Ollie as one of the oldertimers and founders of something great in your area.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

Man....

Man....awn really helps in this stuff....but im just a interested kid......i might know what will happen in the next 4 years.Malaysia might have enough animators.

Don't you think you'll be good enough? If you don't have the passion, it won't work. But if this is something you really want to do, and you're willing to learn, you can be a part of it. But if you are just looking for a good secure job, become a cpa. There's always a need for them.

Thanks

Ok thanks phacker.I've got to go now,i'll try to follow your advice.Plus i've got my best friend,he and I make a good team.Maybe i'll try to bring him here for i've help from many people.Thanks again.....chow.....

Let us see some of your work. Put something together and post it in show and tell. I'll be watching for it.

Another important thing about drawing is that it's the best way to learn the fundamentals of animation. If you only program, you'll become dependant on whatever program you learn to use. Animation = Maya. On the other hand, learning the basics by hand means when you learn a program, you already know exactly what you want to do with it. Preston Blair's Cartoon Animation book is a really good place to learn some basics relatively cheaply.

I'm 39, and going to school for a year in Vancouver. Then I start knocking on doors. Believe me, starting young in a market that isn't already oversaturated is a pretty enviable situation to be in.

Why not look at things this way:

Would you agree that someone with strong artistic abilities has an advantage in the industry and such talent is an asset to a artist ( aspiring or pro)?

Would you agree that someone with the hand-skills that drawing provides will have a stronger intuitive sense about how to solve visual problems (on paper or on-screen) simply because their mental and hand-eye coordination is that much stronger?

Would you agree that someone with solid drawing skills can call upon and represent more objects in artwork in more ways simply because they have negotiated those objects before in drawing? That they can visualize those objects in less time and with less need for outside reference--do you think they would save you money in the long-term?

(That if you test two people with equal software skills, but one lacks drawing skills that the other has--and you test them on the quality of their art, who will do the better job?)

Would you want to hire someone with those kinds of skills to work on your project and make it the best it can be?

If you answer "yes" to all those questions, why fuss over whether you need drawing or not?
Look, fight the laziness(or the fear)--get drawing.

There's a LOT of young people strving to get into the biz that want to short-cut and by-pass a lot of the needed skills and steps to get into the biz--all they are doing is short-changing/limiting their own careers.

If you want to get into the biz, why deny yourself a skill that can give you an advantage over all the other people that think they don't need drawing skills? Trying it any other way makes no sense.

Those people that have made it (artistically) in the biz that do not draw are few and far between--and there's a good reason for that--which you have just read above.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Animators that make it draw, period. Even 3d guys. Asking if you should draw is almost like asking 3d animator if he should learn how to use a computer.

The more you draw, the better animator you'll be. Furthermore, the more *life* drawing you do, the better you will be.

I saw on another thread here somewhere that 1 in 10 students make it in this field in the real world, and furthermore that 50% of them don't make it because they give up.

They give up because of lots of things, one of them being they don't want to do what is required. And one of the top things on that list is drawing.

Again, this is fact, not opinion and you should be getting from what people are saying here.

So if I were you, I'd start drawing or get interested in something else. You're still young. Good luck!

There's no place like home ... there's no place like home ...

C'mon ... I just googled "Malaysia Animation" and came up with 9 studios.
Go forth and conquer!!!!!!

Fat Lizard looks fun!

portfolios and reels

A portfolio is for printed work - anything on paper that you can carry around and show people. A reel is animated/motion work, like a commercial of what you can do. These are either burned on a DVD or placed on a website.

Showing your work and proving that you can do what you say you can do is key in this field. For someone starting out, schools and companies offering internships look for potential and creativity. They know the skills are in the development stage. That's where a sketch book really comes in handy. "Here, look at these ideas I've had ..." They don't have to be finished pieces. That's why when you look at someone's website they often have quick sketches from a figure drawing class. They're not finished protraits, they're the body in motion.

A serious suggestion is to go to a production company local to you and see if they have ANY job, even in the mail room. A LOT of animators got their start doing smaller jobs. Was it Chuck Jones who used to wash the animation cells so they could be used again ...

Your future might look something like this - grunt work of some kind (it's called "paying your dues" and EVERYONE has to do it), you pick up the lingo, watch people do their work, you ask questions, you take a class here and there and you keep an eye open for junior positions. Ideally, you'll enroll in a degree program. Even part time will look like you've got a goal in mind (which you do). Before you know it, you actually DO have a degree and some time in the business.

All the while, you learn to draw, animate, act professionally and find out where your talents lie.

But....

If you come off as only interested in money you've just lost a contact especially in this field.

OK i waz juz asking bout the money,I know that i have to work hard in order to go into and stay in digital animation but i do need to earn a living too(soon).So i waz juz curious bout the salary.

"... - all other things being equal"

Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

The program I'm in seems to have people from an art background or technical/computer background. If you fall short on the artistic side, be sure to excel on the other math/coding/systems side. That definitely has its advantages. I don't have a technical background but I am writing code and scripts because you just have to. But some type of drawing is important in the field - it's just something you'll have to work on. Even just to get to the doodle/sketch stage.

Don't rule out tracing paper to get your feet wet. You can learn a lot by following someone else's lines.

Pages