Search form

Work Load

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Work Load

Hi AWN, I've been lurking for a while and this is my first post. I just started attending Madison Area Tech College in Wisconsin for animation.

Anyway, my question is, as a professional in the animation business (2D) what is the average work load? On average how many drawings does one produce per day? Thanks

It really depends on the task.

I'm doing freelance storyboards right now--a whole 22 minutes epsiode on a 5 week schedule.
It blew a week doing corrections/additions for a previous show and am now wrestling with ruffs for a 35 page script.
I'm looking at a approx 450 to (gulp) 500 page 'board to complete in about 2 weeks from now.
That's 2 panels per 'board page, so to finish this job on time, I'll need to do about 40-50 pages a day, or about 80 to 100 drawings.
That included labelling/paste-up and such--art is ruff line art with some quick cross-hatching and or pencil shading. The odd key panels and establishing shots might have marker or ink work. I am to put characters on-model enough to recognized and locations blocked out--but I dispense with detail

The "usual" amount is about 20-30 pages a day.

My working day will run from about 8:30 in the morning to about 10-11pm at night--and THAT can be typical.
In all the many years I've worked in the biz, I've rarely had a "normal" work week--but then I've spent most of my career doing freelance work anyway.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

It really depends on the task.

I'm doing freelance storyboards right now--a whole 22 minutes epsiode on a 5 week schedule.
It blew a week doing corrections/additions for a previous show and am now wrestling with ruffs for a 35 page script.
I'm looking at a approx 450 to (gulp) 500 page 'board to complete in about 2 weeks from now.
That's 2 panels per 'board page, so to finish this job on time, I'll need to do about 40-50 pages a day, or about 80 to 100 drawings.
That included labelling/paste-up and such--art is ruff line art with some quick cross-hatching and or pencil shading. The odd key panels and establishing shots might have marker or ink work. I am to put characters on-model enough to recognized and locations blocked out--but I dispense with detail

The "usual" amount is about 20-30 pages a day.

My working day will run from about 8:30 in the morning to about 10-11pm at night--and THAT can be typical.
In all the many years I've worked in the biz, I've rarely had a "normal" work week--but then I've spent most of my career doing freelance work anyway.

Ken,

stop wasting time and get to work..

:D

Thanks Ken, I kinda figured there would be overtime but I didn't even know what the "standard" work load was, to know how much overtime to expect.

so thanks for the preparation, I appreciate the response