Search form

New Super8 film perfect for demonstrating stop-motion animation techniques

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
New Super8 film perfect for demonstrating stop-motion animation techniques

'A Shift in Perception' is a film my production company danimations is currently completing. A retail PAL DVD version of this film will be available after the film premiere's in Australia on Friday, and we believe that it would be of use to anyone involved in filmmaking/animation education. :D

The film is a 16 minute experimental documentary shot exclusively on TriX and Kodachrome Super8, using a diverse range of cameras and image making techniques... with significant use of stop-motion animation and pixillation. A meal arranges itself on a plate, tin cans play about in an open cupboard, chairs dance around a table and a flannel climbs up a sink to take a bath. A knife cuts its way through a loaf of bread, and a toy boat motors around in a bath tub. There are also more abstract sequences involving exploration of animated textures shot frame by frame, (ie. cracked glass and fallen leaves) as well as some interesting timelapse sequences. The majority of the film was shot on TriX in B&W, with selective Kodachrome colour moments.

As for the film's content, it relates the stories, dreams, fears and experiences of three blind women living in Adelaide, South Australia. The dialogue was recorded in casual conversation, and then myself and another cinematographer shot/animated footage to illustrate their fascinating and beautiful world. In additon to the animated shots, the film uses techniques including filtration, wide angle distortion, slow motion, macro, and even hand-made titling, and would be a valuable resource for anyone teaching, learning or otherwise exploring animation, super8 filmmaking or the issue of living with blindness.

The finished product (available after the film's premiere, August 4th) will include some DVD extras, including background information on the project, and a production stills gallery. The initial release will feature English subtitles, and we will be making future versions in other languages, and distributing the film internationally.

Email me if you'd like a PAL DVD version sent to you... we will post them internationally for AUS$20 each, including shipping in a DVD case with printed sleeve. For those interested, take a look at the flyer for the premiere here: http://www.danimations.com.au/livingdreams/invite.jpg

dagman's picture
Website: danimations Videos: vimeo | youtube Blog: creativity base

Videos: vimeo | youtube
Blog: creativity base

A webpage for the film has just gone up, with screenshots and online purchasing via paypal. Will post a trailer soon too, and a little razz on the special feature contents we'll be adding to the next version of the DVD. :D

http://www.danimations.com.au/perception

A Shift in Perception selected for IDFA 2006

I received some exciting news yesterday, 'A Shift in Perception' has been selected to screen at IDFA (International Documentary Festival Amsterdam) in November. The film will screen as part of the Paradocs experimental documentary program, and will be it's official World Premiere. Not bad for a small format film, hey? For those unfamiliar with IDFA, it's the bees knees of Doco festivals the world over, and I'm approaching the Australian Film Commission to see if they will sponsor me to travel there for the event. Wow. :D