Search form

Fractured Fairytales" If you want to be an artist, you gotta suffer"

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fractured Fairytales" If you want to be an artist, you gotta suffer"

Those poignant words came from a diffinative cartoon that was narrated by Everett Horton. His humor, while cynical, did contain concepts that were tested by the viewers. Many a comic book had a page "Test your Drawing Skills" or "Win a Prize" as motivational statements. Well reading the tread on expectations for animators has led me to reflect on proven success theories:

My preface is that in the United States we can do anything. Whether your choice is to be an engineer (as mine was) or an animator you need to work on your chops to get anywhere. Now in my mid-fifties, I didn't pickup a paintbrush or airbrush until 6 years ago. Rather than generate a bunch of sketch projects, my mechanical skills drove my projects as did my deep seated beliefs in capitalism. Resolved: Use art as a paying hobbie. Rather than paint on "Canvas", I started painting old guitar bodies, as a guitar will eventually sell as it has utility beyond the art. Viewing animation has been a lifelong pleasure. I started by recreating the characters that i liked. By Painting one off's of someone elses characters the 1st Amendment gives us latitude. I did a few RAT-FINKS after Big Daddy passed and did get to talk to the families lawyers. So respecting his memory and the family, I went on to something else.

The point is aspiring animators, can benefit by controlling their own destiny. My father had an adage: "You have to make something". These simple five words are the key to man's (woman's) strength. My Path of painting guitars, may not be for you, put it is a great training tool as i can attest. I could go on and on about all the applied computer skills that guitar painting has required. But beyond that you get to a final product. You don't need a backer, you don't need to wait for a consortium to recognize your skills.

You just need to make something.

Nice message 8-ball - and the painted guitar looks pretty good too!

hey there...

That's really inspiring 8-ball! I just finished uni and getting myself out there in the animation world! Hooray! It's really exciting! I read your message and it made me smile :)

~Don't Give Up!~

Nice sentiment 8ball, and one I live by. I put up my brushes for a long time, but I am out there making stuff again and enjoying my creative side more than ever.

Nice palm fronds excellent design element. Not a fan of anime so the character kind of left me cold. But overall very nice design on the guitar.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines.Sail away from the safe harbor.Catch the trade winds in your sails.Explore. Dream. Discover.~M. Twain

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.