Search form

Controversial Cartoon

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Controversial Cartoon

This was my first attempt at 2d animation a few years ago. The assignment was to incorporate a complete head turn with a squash and stretch motion. Let's just say, I took it in an unexpected direction.

My animation started a heated debate in my class of what is funny and what is offensive. Personally, I think it is rather clever and entertaining. What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kupZMgE0Xy0

Funny or Offensive?

It's not offensive to me, but I'm sure it will be to tons of people. It's also not funny, but I'm sure that's because I have different standards.

Here's the thing: Hitting people isn't funny to me. Going and making it Jesus for no obvious reason just makes it seem like you picked him to rile people, which makes you come off even worse. Less laughs, more groans. At least with farts and sex you can get nervous laughter. No one nervously laughs at Jesus.

What could help this is if you keep his predicament in mind. You have him stuck on the cross. You're already taking advantage of his limited mobility, why not outright make fun of it? If this were a strange 40s cartoon or British humor, he could swing his weight to tilt the cross out of the way of a few projectiles...maybe someone starts the base on fire, and he's gotta blow down to keep the fire away "Ooo--hot!" It's not terribly original, mostly cliche actually, but I think it's a better match of problem to person. This poor guy who has problems of his own (and eventually infinite cosmic power) is struggling to avoid second-degree toe burns and there's nothing he can do about it.....UNLESS you come up with escapes. Maybe a small web series on ideas he has on how to get down.

Funny or Offensive?

For me, neither.

You got the head turn in there, and I see that you are thinking about arcs in the head turn, so thats good. I don't understand why he looks up when he turns after he gets hit by the eggs. He turns to look in the direction that the eggs are coming from, so he should be looking down and not up.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

The main point I wanted to get across was how far Easter has gotten of track. Not to sound preachy, but Jesus gave his life for our sins and died on the cross and we celebrate that day with bunnies, chocolates, and colored eggs. I would think he would be pissed off if he saw how far it has gotten from the true meaning of the day. And, where did all these unrelated customs come from?

The colored eggs that hit him are symbolic of our modern celebrations of Easter and kind of show how they directly cheapen or hurt the true meaning of the day and the man.

So I guess I shouldn't have asked whether it were funny or offensive, because to some it may not be either. I, myself, find the irony funny, not the fact that Jesus is getting hit with something. I guess the main point of this thread was to talk about the offensiveness of the piece.

Oh, and Ape, I am aware of the head looking to far up. My teacher made me change it to get in the complete head turn because that was the real assignment after all.

The main point I wanted to get across was how far Easter has gotten of track. Not to sound preachy, but Jesus gave his life for our sins and died on the cross and we celebrate that day with bunnies, chocolates, and colored eggs. I would think he would be pissed off if he saw how far it has gotten from the true meaning of the day. And, where did all these unrelated customs come from?

The colored eggs that hit him are symbolic of our modern celebrations of Easter and kind of show how they directly cheapen or hurt the true meaning of the day and the man.

I thought Easter was to celebrate the resurection of Christ, not when he died on the cross.

The whole Easter egg and bunny thing is about the celebration of spring time and has no relation to the resurection of Chirst, at least that I'm aware of. Well except maybe the time of year. I got confused by the time frame, why Christ is being pelted by Easter eggs when Easter was after his death on the cross. Interesting idea though.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

yep, i'm an idiot. i got the easter day thing wrong, but I think my concept still works.

Maybe they should sell chocolate crosses and have kids going on the traditional 'Easter Nail Hunt'. Or a cake where you bake it, leave it for 3 days, and when you go to eat it... THE FILLING IS GONE! That way Easter can respect the superstitions of Christians and still be fun at the same time!

Check out my work!

Maybe they should sell chocolate crosses and have kids going on the traditional 'Easter Nail Hunt'. Or a cake where you bake it, leave it for 3 days, and when you go to eat it... THE FILLING IS GONE! That way Easter can respect the superstitions of Christians and still be fun at the same time!

Heathen...Ok I had to look up the spelling on that. :o