Search form

No Spam On Awn

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
No Spam On Awn

This crud has become frequent lately. New folks those offers to pay you if you post their stupid ads on every forum are a hoax. And I for one am getting tired of it. Join in here about animation, but leave your ads behind.

phacker's picture
Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

Where are the forum admins ?

Evar Simon
The Phi Phenomenon

They usually remove them once they are reported. But I am just getting tired of seeing them crop back up every day or so. I wish the Nokia people had a couple of their units up their butts right now.

I totally understand Phacker. We delete them as soon as we see them, unfortunately, we are only volunteers and we can't be monitoring the site 24/7. I usually pop on to the site several times a day to see how things are going. Unfortunetely, I don't think banning these people would work either since each new ad is from a new and different user name. The best we can do is delete them as soon as we see them. Hopefully they aren't up for very long. The best thing I can think of to help out is for people to keep letting us know when there are spammers about, and of course not buy anything from their adds.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Can't you broaden the bans by banning whole IP ranges?

Well when you clean up you need to clean up all their posts in all the forums there are still a couple sitting in the coop section and the flea market, which if they are going to post that would be the place, but it doesn't look good for AWN. And how much more trouble is it for the mods to ban these butts, they aren't interested in adding to the discussion. And with a full ban I would assume all their posts would disappear. I get a little tired of having to report each one.

They even hit the issues and bug reporting forum.

Like Ape said, banning is useless because it's pretty rare for the same individiaul/robot/group to do a mass spamming a second time on the same username, and secondly even if they took the time to ban them (which is going more out of your way then most people would think, having run one of these before) they or their machines are just going to sign up for a new one anyhow. If you can't cure the disease, treat the symptoms.

This SPAM problem starts up at about the same time every year. My email address will get flooding with junk starting in the month of August. It must have something to do will all the schools starting back up. All we can do is just push thru the waste and at some point SPAM should die off. I find it hard to believe that there are still a large number of people who click on the SPAM links. Those SPAM sites have to pay whomever is generating the junk so...they are throwing away money on a promotion scheme that does not work anymore.

Heh, if you think the spam in these forums is bad, scroll down to the VFXworld forums, notably the General Discussion forum.
Woooooboy, some seriously bad garbage down there.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Nobody probably reports it there Ken. You have to use that little hazard symbol thing. If you don't a lot of the mods don't even frequent the boards.

I am just tired of having to report each every entry.

It is bad there, we even have ads for how to start a Nursing Agency, really pertinent.

I have an idea, the web master could fix the forum so that if a thread is reported as a problem thread, that there would be a visiable flag on the thread. The flag stays on the thread untill someone reviews that thread to delete it or to let it stay.