Search form

Help! Help! Freelancers?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Help! Help! Freelancers?

Hello.

I am a recent graduate, based in London.

I need some advice?

An animation company has offered me work before I finished my degree, I did 3 pictures for them, they pitched it to an company for me, and I'm waiting for them to tell me to start the animation or not.

Meanwhile, this animation company has asked me to do another project - to come up with some ideas... BUT... I've realised there has been no written agreement of any kind.

I'm not sure what to do?

Should I give them an invoice for the 3 pictures? How much should I charge? Should I make them sign a non disclosure agreement before I start work on this new project? Do I give them an invoice after I've done the animation (if they want me to do it, as I do not know yet?)?

I also didn't put the little copywrite symbol on those 3 pictures, now that I have given them in, does that mean I can never reclaim them as mine now?

I realise I have no idea how to freelance, I want to protect my interests and not get screwed over! I went to the careers advisor at university... they told me to find out from people who are out there freelancing (great help they were)... so can anyone help me?

squirrelpoop's picture
~Don't Give Up!~

~Don't Give Up!~

You don't have to place the copyright symbol on work to be protected, as long as your work was in a fixed format, jpg, gif, sketch whatever you own it if you haven't given up the rights. This is US law, not sure how it translates in England.

You need to draft a contract based on an estimate of what you think the work is worth. Make sure to limit revisions, or you could be hung up forever.

If they received 3 of your graphics you need to receive payment before you do anymore work for them.

Non disclosure is something marketing types are big on, not something most artists or designers need to be concerned with. We design our work, we aren't really worried that someone is going to steal our ideas after all they are protected by copyright. These young marketers love to rely on them they think the idea/product we are designing for is the latest greatest thing since the "pet rock". If the company is paying enough and insists sign one, but as an artist it's not necessary to protect your work through nondisclosure contracts.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.