Search form

The definition of Frustration.........

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
The definition of Frustration.........

Its late at night..........working on a deadline......doing a storyboard.
Tired........dog tired, but trying to get the damn thing done.....

I'm taping down dialogue, cut from a script ( text reduced to 85%)--using Scotch 3M removable tape ( low-tack)..........

And the farkin' s**t has an electro-static charge which means that as I approach the carefully cut and placed lines of script, the charged tape causes it to "wiggle"/spin....moving it out of place.
To get it secured, I have to trap the bits of cut-out text with the tape in one swift movement, then once the text peices are stuck to the tape, then tamp the whole piece down on the 'board.
Its takes a measure of concentration my level of fatigue just doesn't want to cooperate with.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.:mad: :mad: :mad:
Of course, not every piece carries the charge, so some go on without a problem and some spin like a compass in the farkin' Bermuda Triangle.

And its too late to use cuss-words, cuz the rest of the house-hold is sleeping.

And, no, handwriting isn't a better option. My hand-writing is lousy, and its too hard on my hand......besides, the script text looks better.

Just one of those tiny lil' things that makes this job............a degree or two shy of pleasurable.

And some folks wonder why I "don't like my job".......?:rolleyes:

Ken Davis's picture

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Unless I'm misunderstanding, could you maybe lay a strip of tape non-adhesive side face down (maybe even pin it somehow) and using your first fingers and thumb to pinch either end of the text where it needs to be on the tape? Then with that oriented you can grab the tape/text hybrid and press it on wherever it needs to go.

It's backwards but it gets rid of the compassy twirly bit...

1-800-India-Outsource

;)

1-800-India-Outsource

;)

Well, the problem with me outsourcing such work is that my cut is 100%:D

Try my cure for frustrations like this:

Get in your car and drive around until you find a road crew laying asphalt, or a bunch of roofers working on a house in the summer heat. Watch them work for 10 minutes.

It tends to put tribulations like this into perspective for me...;)

Double sided removable tape works well in a situation like that.
________
extreme vaporizer

Double sided removable tape works well in a situation like that.

No such animal up here.
I buy the 3M stuff because its available at chains like Staples and Office Depot, which means I can get a decent price for it too--it tends to be about $4-$6 a roll as it is.

Besides, that would actually make the job harder, if you think about it:

-Using two brands of tape.
-The exposed side would attract crud, while working.
-The script pieces should be covered by the tape as the whole pages inevitably gets fed through a document feeder scanner/copier.
-Doesn't solve the electro-static problem.
-Added cost.
-Added time.

I've played this game with the stuff for over 16 years now, and tried several different ways to deal with it--all comes back to concentration, grit and luck.
Plus its better having slept before doing it, LOL.

No, don't mistake this as being something earth-shattering.
Its a peeve, a pique.......really just a absolute minor one that is part of the job. In a way its kind of funny, were it not frustrating to work with.--as the first time it happedn i thought I was cursed or something.

Actually, I still think that, LOL.
Occasionally.

I tend to scan stuff into the computer and use Fontographer, or just paste it in. I guess you have to work on a particular board, though. Can you just put paste on the back?

Similarly, I sometimes get this incredible phenomenon where none of my crowquill pens will transfer ink to the paper. I can see the tiny ink droplet quiver at the tip, I can hear and feel the pen scraping the paper. But when I'm done, the sheet's pure as virgin snow. So I curse between my teeth and go back to Rapidographs and the Gillot pen.

They say this brain device will remove the static charge and let you place your storyboads perfectly.

They say this brain device will remove the static charge and let you place your storyboads perfectly.

I...........um......................uh...............wear a tin-foil toque when I 'board.

It keeps the UFO landing circle on the top of my head free of untoward visitors.

Though maybe I can work that gizmo in and render myself magnetically-null?

Oh, there's a goal....

I tend to scan stuff into the computer and use Fontographer, or just paste it in. I guess you have to work on a particular board, though. Can you just put paste on the back?

Similarly, I sometimes get this incredible phenomenon where none of my crowquill pens will transfer ink to the paper. I can see the tiny ink droplet quiver at the tip, I can hear and feel the pen scraping the paper. But when I'm done, the sheet's pure as virgin snow. So I curse between my teeth and go back to Rapidographs and the Gillot pen.

I have used the paste ( actually a glue stick) method before, and it does work, albeit with one problem: the glue gets on my fingers that gums/dirties up the tape.

I hear you on the nibs though-- LOUD AND CLEAR-- and that has happened many a time. I use and tend to abide byt the Gillotts nibs too, and they sometime can have this problem beofre they are broken in.
Hell, I've had my primo fav nibs go squirrely on me and not put a line down on the page, just as you describe--and this despite almost EVERY attempt to get the thing to work. Physics--can't live with it, cannot live without out it..........but man, do I think wishfully sometimes...