Search form

Frustrated writer with story for animation

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Frustrated writer with story for animation

Hi there
I am an Australian based children's author with a series of books that were virtually written with future animation in mind. The characters are very 'cartoon' as are the stories. I have had several animation companies say that they are suitable but they are only production companies and have no money. Children routinely ask me "When's the cartoon coming out?"
I want to approach animation companies on a global scale and am seeking advice from this forum as to how to do this? Who should I approach? etc.
When I can figure out how, I will post some pictures of the characters.
Cheers
Peter

What you'd have to do is pitch your idea to studios, preferably ones that do have money. I suggest you do a search through the forums for the terms "pitch", "pitch book", and "pitch bible". You probably shouldn't get your hopes up, unless you are a successful children's book author with a ready-made audience. I always figured that studios approached successful authors in order to secure the animation rights, but that might not always be the case. Perhaps your publisher knows more about this. It might also be possible to pitch your idea to broadcasters, if you have ones in Australia that do some production themselves.

Good luck.

Laurence Finston

sound advice this.

"Animation Writing and Development: From Script Development to Pitch" by Jean Wright offers a good overview over the whole process, including covering legal issues that might arise.

Some of the more successful animation producers - Judge, Parker/Stone, McFarlane - started out by creating short "pilots" virtually by themselves. These were animated very crudely: the selling factors being writing and voice talent.

You can find interviews and bios online covering how these people and others got started.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply and advice.
PB:)