Search form

Protecting PLE creations

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Protecting PLE creations

I'm going to teach myself Maya 6 and am looking into the free bronze membership offered from Alias AutoDesk. I realize the learning edition of Maya 6 is for learning only and not profit. I'm curious to know if I can create something on Maya 6 PLE and get it trademarked, patented or copywritten so I at least have protection on my creation?? Even though I can't make money on a PLE creation at least it will be protected.

I may get a job offer or an opportunity from the creation but I'm sure it means I can't profit commercially or by other means from it. Please tell me for sure what I can and can't do legally. Thank you.

Imagine you could get it copyrighted, though I don't know so I won't say one way or the other.

The license for the PLE and the student edition both say, though, that you can't see any money from work you've done in either without upgrading to a commercial license. I'm 95% sure of that. I'll see if I can find the exact spot.

I think there idea of profit is if you get a freelance job, you can't use the student or PLE versions to animate and do the work with. Like Scattered said, you should be fine copywriting with either version, but read the licence agreement to make sure.

aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Typically, you should be able to enter film festivals or put it up on the web with the products of this license, but if you should be so lucky as to get distribution, you would have to upgrade your license. Always read the fine print to be sure.

Alan

Get some "Good Advice" at http://www.decksawash.net