Search form

Do You Pay Your Staff?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Do You Pay Your Staff?

Do animation creators paying their staff to help him create his tv series or does the company that distribute the show pays them?

e.g matt groening paying for character designers and writers to producers and directors

echi's picture
Message By Echi Echi :D :) :) :cool: Visit My new album website My Gallery of My Characters, My Toons, My Life

Message By Echi Echi :D :) :) :cool:

Visit My new album website

My Gallery of My Characters, My Toons, My Life

Whoever owns the animation studio pays the staff.

The Simpsons is developed by Gracie Films which I believe is owned by James L. Brooks, so Brooks would be responsible for paying whatever creative staff (writers, producers, voice actors, sound mixers) he employs, including Groening.

The Simpsons is animated by Film Roman which is owned by IDT Entertainment which was recently purchased by The Starz Media Group.
You can usually see which company does the animation in the credits of a cartoon. For example, The Simpsons closing credits say "Animation Produced by FILM ROMAN, INC." Following that credit, is a list of the people at Film Roman who worked on the episode.

Ahh, but the animation is actually NOT produced at Film Roman. It is produced at AKOM in Korea. The people at Film Roman do the pre-prod and post-prod only.

"Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard" - Paul Simon

Really the only time a creator will pay someone out of his pocket is if it's for a personal project. Network shows are all big bussiness.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Ahh, but the animation is actually NOT produced at Film Roman. It is produced at AKOM in Korea. The people at Film Roman do the pre-prod and post-prod only.

After the "Animation Produced by FILM ROMAN, INC." credit, there is an "Overseas Production by ..." credit.
I believe that, in addition to AKOM, Rough Draft is still doing some of the episodes, although I don't have any recent episodes with which to verify this.

right now no one is paying me... still waiting for my may's pay check...:mad:

"check it out, you know it makes sense!" http://miaumau.blogspot.com/