Search form

acme punch?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
acme punch?

Is there some kind of advantage to the standard of "acme punched" as opposed to a regular 3 hole punch? other than spending $500+ on the acme puncher, I'm not sure I see a difference. Does it line up better or something?

Also, I just read ScatteredLogical's post from last summer about a low priced autofeeding scanner

I imagine that these scanners wouldn't line up the hole punches from the scanned images on their own, and, though I don't know much more than the basics, I don't see how anything like a batch action in photoshop would help align the drawings either. Is there software you have to buy to do it?

I have fitting tabs on the loading tray just like you would if you were getting ready to print something, and that should help the aligning. If you've got it snug, the edges of the paper stay in place on each resulting image, which means indirectly the holes won't move since they're stuck in place within the paper.

That said, if you're not too adept with that (and even if you are) since it's an automated process, the scanning, there will be some alignment errors occasionally. Acme vs. round as far as anything I've ever been told IS a precision issue, but do you gain enough precision to counteract what you'd lose by the process of inputting the drawings...that's the question. It's much cheaper for me to sell my disc and box, or refit them, to a three-hole round, than to stick with my all-Acme setup and save for the fortune that is even just the student Acme punch. Still, I'm an anal-retentive freak and as much as I try to keep an open mind and embrace change, if it ain't broke...