Search form

Another Stupid Question!, this time about modelling 3d characters in proper films...

1 post / 0 new
Another Stupid Question!, this time about modelling 3d characters in proper films...

So I've checked out some modelling tutorials lately, and I don't know if they're revalent to the production of 3d models that one would use for a proper animated film instead of, for example, a computer game.

Like...all the tutorials I've got, they say basically to build the thing up angle-by-angle, by aligning them all to two perspectives of the same figure, as shown in a drawing you scan in and display underneath the 3d-modelling area. But this does seem to run counter to what I know about constructing characters when I draw, which is basically arranging simple shapes in proper proportion and then bringing them together with details (I assume this might have an equivelant in the 3d-world with some kind of distinction between "base" and "covering", like a programmed skin...but what do I know?!).

So my question is - is there a different kind of shape-based modelling used for making 3d characters in proper story-based animations?, or is it done this same way that they do things for games? It seems like it would be so much easier if there were a shape-based method - if you know your model sheet you'd be just a few clicks-and-drags away from your basic form!

Anyhow - Thanks!