Search form

Need help with animation script formatting

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Need help with animation script formatting

I've heard many different answers to this question but... Do you use the TRANSITION SHOTS (CUT TO, FADE TO, ect.) in an animation spec script?

Also, should the space between the MASTER SCENES be two or three spaces? Thanks in advance!!

Yes, you need to call the transitions shots in a animation script ( not always CUT TO, but others like wipes, fades, dissolves etc.)--otherwise how will the storyboard artists know when to place them in the 'board?
Cuts will often come "naturally" based on the flow of the scenes and the dialogue, but having cuts from scene to scene placed where the scriptwriter thinks they should be usually creates a mess. Only time I've seen cuts labeled in a script is to set sequences apart.
Calling for cuts within a sequence is not really necessary, because the storyboard artists/directors usually determine that pacing.

Mind you, any decent storyboard artist will use the script transitions as a guide rather than treat them as set in stone, but its good to have them in the script.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Ken Davis,

Thanks for the quick responce! So, I only indicate the special TRANSITIONS like FADE TO and WIPES? And leave out the CUT TO's 'cause they're assumed? That's very helpfull. Thank you so much.

here is the thing.

in some instances we are quite particular about how we want to transition from one shot to another. for others we leave it open ended and try out different stuff on the animatic before committing to one.