Search form

Animation Desk Angle - What do you use?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Animation Desk Angle - What do you use?

On a drafting table or animation desk, what angle of incline do you draw most often at? Do you find you switch it, or set it and forget it? Ever get frustrated drawing at a desk set to a fixed angle?

--I'm about to build a custom desk with a disc, but I want to ask around before I make some cuts.

Cooker

repetitive stress injuries are serious

Great points Tony! I'll design my desk for extra flexibility.

You are right, repetitive stress injuries are serious. I really liked the power of my electric eraser until I realized that using it all day for serveral days caused some numbness and tingling in the fingers of my hand! I've switched back to manually erasing. Turns out, drawing a lot isn't necessarily bad, but vibrations really frazzle and fray the nerves. I guess I could wear a cushioned glove, but that's kind of silly... maybe a 3 fingered cartoon style glove :cool:

Cooker

p.s. Tony I just saw your new book is available and I bought it. Please do some publicity, it looks great and I bet it'll be a big hit. Congratulations!

At school, i've got my table at the highest angle, pretty close to a vertical 90 degrees i think. I find it most comfortable like this.

Hi Cooker and HunterKiller.

Thanks for your responses. I hadn't heard about the electric eraser problems Cooker and I've never used on myself. I always believe that 'natural is best' so I've tended to avoid keep my working approach as natural as possible (as I do with my medications and medical practitioner actually). I did work on a Cintiq tablet for a while, to research it for the new book. I loved it but I did find that the part of my hand that rested on its surface was a little hot and sore after a lot of extended work on it. This doesn't deter me from wanting to own one myself eventually but it was something I hadn't anticipated at the time.

Thanks for ordering the book. I was a little alarmed at seeing it on Amazon as I'm still working on the interactive DVD that goes with it, for the August publication date! This has been a three year intensive journey for me, which is why I've hardly been here at the forum in recent months. I'm probably going to be tied up for a while longer yet on the DVD but I do at least read pretty much all the posts, even if I don't actually respond to them. Actually, many of them are beyond my experience... especially those with specific software topics... so I leave it for the more experienced out there to answer them. However, I did have some experience of desk angles and so I felt I should respond to you.

The repetitive stress injury section in the book is an extensive one... even offering remedial and preventative exercises at the same time... which should answer many issues that no animation book has dealt with so far, to my understanding. It’s probably about a 100 pages of the electronic book (on the DVD) long and unashamedly called "Dealing with those Mega-hurts". :)

Yes HunterKiller, I had a partner who worked with their desk almost at a vertical angle and it seemed to work fine for him... he never had any back or neck problems at all and did excellent animation work. I prefer a lower angle myself as drawing at such a steep angle tends to make my wrist ache after a while and therefore my drawing doesn't flow as best as it could. I guess we're all individuals after all, aren't we... that's why the adjustable desk is always the best thing in the long run.

Good luck to you both! :)

Best wishes,

Tony. :^{)}=-

Personal Blogsite:
http://blog.animaticus.com

"The Animaticus Foundation"
http://www.animaticus.com

Does your section on repetitive stress cover mouse issues as well, Tony? I've never had a problem with a pencil, but I've recently discovered that the mouse is eating up my arm (so to speak).

Your book's a must-buy regardless (I've had your other one for years), but I'm just curious.

Hi DSB.

Yes, the book will be dealing with pretty much everything animation/computer related in terms of RSI, Carpal Tunnel, eye conditions and other painful issues. I'm still piecing the final material on this together but there is definitely material on the Web right now that might help. Google 'carpal tunnel syndrome' and check out some of the sites. Basically you need suggested remedial exercises as they are always better than any surgical intervention... which I know some doctors advise. (But what to doctors know!) The book will cover all the conditions I and colleagues of mine have suffered from over the years... and how they have been improved by natural, sensible methods.

I'm sorry I can't share anything now but perhaps you will find things on the web search that can help in the interim?

Best wishes,

Personal Blogsite:

I too prefer a steeper angle to my animation desk. Not quite 90, more like around 65-70. I find that at a steeper angle I tend to draw more with my arm because I'm not leaning over and resting my arm on the desk. Like Tony said, it's all personal preferance, so making it adjustable is the best. Just experiment till you find an angle you like.

I was just wondering when your book was coming out Tony. Cool, only have to wait a couple more months.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Can't really speak for the angle of a drafting table lately, but when I was doing landscape designs, it was nice to lower the slant when I worked on watercolor drafts. But I preferred to draft at close to 45.

Getting to the mouse, which is what I use now mostly. Make sure to take your mouse for a test drive before you buy one. I love my optical IBM thing. Don't know what I am going to do when it wears out. I am on my second one. It has a scooped out thumb area, and it just fits my hand.

Tried a couple of computer tablets, never could really get used to them. But then I have some arthritis issues.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

Cool - thanks Tony. I'm doing some stuff to improve my condition (ergonomics, rest, exercises), but I'm a "know as much as possible" kinda guy, so I'm looking forward to the information you've got in the book.

Hi, My desk is fixed at 45 degrees. I have animated with a steeper angle but i'm happy with 45. It shouldn't be too tough to make the desk adjustable though so you might want to do that and find out exactly what's comfortable for you. I think a steeper angle may be healthier as well.
good luck

Hi Cooker.

I would strongly recommend that you make the angle of the desk adjustable. I have included a large section in my new book about ergonomics and respetitive stress disorders for 'long haul' animators and I think you should take it seriously. For example, the angle of the desk may depend upon your own height and even the height of the chair you are working with. If you change the height of your chair, you may find that a fixed angle will no longer work for you, even if its perfect initially. Pretty much all of the top animators I know have used an adjustable desk and pretty much all of them will re-adjust it from time to time, depending on a number of factors.

Anyway, the key to an adjustable desktop is in the use of a long hinge that goes right along the lower base of the lightbox, at the point where it joins the tabletop. If you can find one of those to create a moving, adjustable desktop then you are home and dry.

Remember, whatever you end up with, you don't want to be stooped over... that will ensure back and neck problems later.

In terms of having to have a fixed angle for your desktop? I would say that entirely depends upon your height and your chair height. Ideally your back should be a straight as possible and yet you don't want to reach up too high with your drawing arm. I guess its a fine balance ultimately, but you need to find out what works best for you as an individual... the precise angle will be much different for animator to animator I suggest.

Hope this helps?

Good luck!

Personal Blogsite:

bump.......

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."